Asparagus!!!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I wandered over to my asparagus bed, to take a peek this morning...I was thrilled to see a few spears poking up! I thought it was way too early!
Yeah, picked enough spears to make an asparagus,green onion and egg omelet :) I see more peeping thur, but its the "kids" turn to pick. They love to grill it

babajohnson

Sprout
Reaction score
Greetings from Gimli Manitoba. I am new to this forum about 9 minutes old lol. This year I would like to try growing asparagus in a raised bed.. My husband and I are both into raised beds since our knees are not the best anymore.......

I would really appreciate some information from any one here who does grow asparagus in a raised bed. Especially as how to go about it etc.

I am expecting my plant to arrive soon if we ever get spring here.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome!! I have my asparagus in raised bed. The only bad thing about growing asparagus is that it requires patience!!! You cannot harvest any for at least 3 years! Other than the waiting, the rest is easy!

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Actually, Lesa you can't harvest any for the first year, then only about 1/2 the second year, then all you want after that. Basically the way I see it this year which is our second year we're getting about 50% of our spears that are eating size. That is they are the size you'd find in a market or maybe the diameter of a man's pinkie finger. The other 50% are thinner and should not be cut but rather let the plant go and it will fern out. These are about the diameter of a pencil. Just let 'em go to head because there'll be plenty more coming up. We have ours in a 4'x8'x12" raised bed box and I believe Teresa planted 2 bunches in it, which I thought was too much at the time. They were spaced out about one foot apart in the bed. Last year a bunch came up and we just ignored them. But for the past 2 weeks or so we've been getting 8 to 10 edible spears a day. Some of them make it in the house and end up in omelets or as a side dish. Some of them... They taste like candy when they're first cut right out of the box!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was under the impression it had something to do with the age of the crowns?? At any rate, this is the year I am going to start harvesting, if it ever warms up enough for the rest to dare and peek above ground! Can't wait to try them fresh out of the garden!

aussieheelr

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We don't grow our own here... but we get plenty wild asparagus of the ditch banks. The season JUST started here this last weekend, I cut about 12 spears Saturday morning but had lots of things to do so I wasn't out there more than 10 minutes hunting. Last year we were able to freeze a gallon bag of it to eat one it was out of season, plus ate so much we got sick of it durring the season.
I love free veggies :D

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, aren't you lucky, Aussie! I would love to "get sick" of asparagus! I have never seem it growing wild- but my Mom remembers it growing along the railroad tracks in Pa. Enjoy!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know the feeling about eating it till I'm sick of it. This year I moved about 2/3 of the patch to new spot-it's about 3X larger when filled in. So when it's going I'll really get sick of it. I give it away to neighbors--until they quit answering door.

I'm doing that now w/bantam eggs. The neighbors are almost locking the door when they see me come walking up. I like to think it's the horse we call our dog that makes them do that and not me w/more eggs.............

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Very nice! We had wild asparagus in quite a few places growing up. We never had to plant it. I hope mine does as well as yours! This is my first time planting it. I intentionally planted mine a bit too close together. We'll hope the gardening gods don't frown on me for it.

Latest posts