Asparagus!!!

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We've got asparagus and is it tender and sweet!!! Teresa made omelets this morning and served fresh steamed asparagus with them. We were eating it right out in the garden so I'm surprised there was enough to make anything with. It was like candy.

1246551836_rHZW9-L.jpg

Teresa with an empty bowl because we kept eating it right out of the bed.

1246552785_tYWbE-L.jpg

As you can see we're going to be almost 90% boxes this year. I've left one area over to one side for okra, potatoes, and onions. The box in the foreground is romaine and bibb lettuce. The plowed area in the foreground is where the 2x2 boxes will go for the tomatoes. Tomatoes are my project this year. Teresa's was asparagus last year.

1246553630_KDgz7-L.jpg

Here's the cold frame I built from hay bales and a large sliding glass door on top of it. Worked great. We're about to move our tomatoes into it this coming week.

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I need to go check mine in the front yard. Hope the rabbits don't eat it!

Sweet set up with the boxes.I need to do that in the back yard.

What size lumber did you use? I never made raised beds. Iit would be so much nicer,and way easier to control the grass/weeds.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Always enjoy seeing your gardens! Just lovely. I keep staring at my asparagus bed, hoping to see some green poking up... Not yet! This will be my first year to harvest, so I am very excited!!

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well I checked my asparagus,and instead of the plants I found a nest of baby meadow voles(and momma).Guess they ate my plants.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mattemma, did you have the bed covered in straw? Are you sure the plants are gone?

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mattemma said:
I need to go check mine in the front yard. Hope the rabbits don't eat it!

Sweet set up with the boxes.I need to do that in the back yard.

What size lumber did you use? I never made raised beds. Iit would be so much nicer,and way easier to control the grass/weeds.
For the most part I used 2x6x8's to build them. We have 8 boxes that are 4x8x12, 8 boxes that are 4x4x6, and a bunch of smaller 2x2x4 boxes. The smaller boxes are used for tomatoes, blueberries, etc. Teresa got hooked on the Square Foot Gardener by Mel Bartholomew last year and wanted everything in boxes. I talked her into letting me keep one 10' x70' section for okra, potatoes, corn, and pumpkins.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wandered over to my asparagus bed, to take a peek this morning...I was thrilled to see a few spears poking up! I thought it was way too early!

Latest posts