ASPIRIN for plants

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This came up recently, and a little research proved very interesting.

I wont bore you with all the details of why it is a good thing, but more ask who uses aspirin to bolster ther plants immune systems.
(which is a hint as to why it's a good thing...) :)

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yep, thats one of the articles I read.

Best part is, you use the cheap as dirt, $1/bottle stuff!
1-2 tablets per 2 gallons of water, twice a month. Thats some cheap plant therapy, right there.

Some will complain that it isn't organic. Well, all I can say is "organic, schmanic"... I'll take the occasional dose of aspirin and call it better living through chemistry! :D

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
davaroo said:
Yep, thats one of the articles I read.

Best part is, you use the cheap as dirt, $1/bottle stuff!
1-2 tablets per 2 gallons of water, twice a month. Thats some cheap plant therapy, right there.

Some will complain that it isn't organic. Well, all I can say is "organic, schmanic"... I'll take the occasional dose of aspirin and call it better living through chemistry! :D
Some "organic schmanic" folks would say that exposure to pests (animal kingdom or germ) would be a great bolster to the plant's immune system ;)

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ive tried it, but its only been a few weeks yet. We'll see what comes of it. Im really keen to see if it makes a difference with seed sprouting.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi!:happy_flower
I've heard that a lot of florists use it for cut flowers but I've never thought of it for plants -- thanks for the info -- I'll read up all the leads this evening, as I must make the most of the glorious weather we have got today-- much warmer than we usually get at this time of the year. I was outside all morning, working in the garden. This afternoon I want to get my other 5 raised beds together as I have a lot of stuff in containers inside the house that needs to go out (under covers of course, as our nights are still pretty cold).

:coolsun HAPPY GARDENING & GREAT WEATHER to you all :coolsun
:rose Hattie :rose

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My grandmother used to propagate roses from cuttings using asprin since it has the same properties as willow bark to force root. I'm wondering if the same hormone for rooting is at work here?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
My grandmother used to propagate roses from cuttings using asprin since it has the same properties as willow bark to force root. I'm wondering if the same hormone for rooting is at work here?
Something like that. I dont think it's a hormone, though, as much as a chemical: salicylic acid, or in the case of aspirin - acetylsalicylic acid.

"Medicines containing derivatives of salicylic acid, structurally similar to aspirin, have been in medical use since ancient times. Salicylate-rich willow bark extract became recognized for its specific effects on fever, pain and inflammation in the mid-eighteenth century. By the nineteenth century pharmacists were experimenting with and prescribing a variety of chemicals related to salicylic acid, the active component of willow extract.

A French chemist, Charles Frederic Gerhardt, was the first to prepare acetylsalicylic acid in 1853.

In 1897, scientists at the drug and dye firm Bayer began investigating acetylsalicylic acid as a less-irritating replacement for standard common salicylate medicines. By 1899, Bayer had patented name "Aspirin" and was selling it around the world.
The name Aspirin is derived from A = Acetyl and "Spirsure" = an old (German) name for salicylic acid."
- - excerpted from wikipedia

So now you know.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a friend that is a Master Gardener and when I first started gardening she said to stay away from some of the old "garden remedies" and that some cause more harm than good.

I read a good book called...The Truth About Garden Remedies by Gillman. It didn't mention aspirin as I recall, but it did answer a lot of questions about some of the other stuff garden gurus recommend.

Latest posts