"Assault Rifles" What's That All About?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I think assault rifle is more a political thing than anything else. It really doesnt mean much but the name is like feeding gasoline to a fire for some people. How do you define an assault rifle?

Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I wish they had been a little clearer when they wrote this. Who is to regulate the militia? Is the security they are talking about protecting the country itself from foreign conquest? Remember the countrys situation when it was written. Even though we had just won our independence with a lot of help from the French, we were still vulnerable.

Was it talking about the individual being able to protect himself? Pioneer settlements vulnerable to Indian raids, bandits, pirates, or outlaws normally had a militia ready to respond immediately.

Is it talking about citizens overthrowing the central government if they dont like what is going on? Remember Washingtons response to the Whisky Rebellion. If it is about private citizens taking on my old unit (2nd Infantry Division, still in Korea) assault weapons dont even touch the surface. They need anti-aircraft and anti-tank weapons. A few drones and tanks in the back yard would be useful too.

I dont think anything is going to really happen that changes anything. The public and the politicians are losing interest until the next Sandy Hook. The assault weapons ban is pretty much dead. The large-capacity magazines is being addressed in some States but like assault weapons it would take generations to remove them there are so many in circulation now. There was a ban on assault weapons a few years ago but it expired. Has any study been done to see how effective it was? I know, dont let facts get in the way of a good opinion, but I think it was not in effect long enough to really make a difference. As I said, it would take generations, plus there is something called smuggling.

I think background checks have a chance to become law, but those will not be effective. Most States dont even have a database of mentally ill people to check against and are not going to create a good one.

Im not convinced I need an assault weapon to protect my home. I think the sound of me pumping my 12 gauge will do a pretty good job of that. If that is not enough, #4 turkey load full choke should do the trick.

It will be impossible to stop every attack like Columbine, Aurora, or Sandy Hook. I think the worse attack at a school was some school board member that either blew up or burned down a school. There was an attack by a guy before the War for Independence that killed a bunch of students with a tomahawk.

I think most of this is a feel-good effort that wont make any real difference as far as these massacres go. The one benefit of having the laws on the books is that if someone is planning something like this, there is a law on the books where maybe they can be stopped or slowed down.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
While I was a hunter in my younger years, after serving in the unpleasantness in South East Asia it was many years before I touched a firearm again. However, there was never a time when I was willing to give up the right to own one.

As to outlawing things that many of the citizens want to do or possess,"for their own good"; It is my belief that doing so hazards creating more problem than it ever solves. Here are some examples:

1. Prohibition, led to bootlegging, led to the growth of organized crime and the growth of the Mafia. The repeal of Prohibition caused organized crime to look elsewhere for income.

2. The making it more difficult to get pharmaceutical drugs, primarily amphetamines, led to meth labs in our neighborhoods.

3. The "War on Drugs" has changed the face of America forever. South American Cartels abound, creating a new and even more brutal organized crime syndicate.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I dont think were as far apart as you may think on some of this. Some of it, we are. I was lucky enough to be sent to Korea, not Vietnam and Im grateful I never was shot at or had to shoot at someone. One of the many reasons I volunteered for the army was that while I did not agree with what Jane was saying, I felt she had a right to say it. Sometimes it got rough remembering that.

Are you perhaps equating prohibition with regulating? Alcohol was still regulated after prohibition was repealed.

If I remember rightly, the attempt to make amphetamines harder to acquire was to try to reduce the amount of meth labs in the neighborhoods. Restricting amphetamines did not lead to meth labs. They were already here.

As for the War on Drugs, I think the problem is the users. The smugglers and distributors would be out of business overnight if people would quit using. We both know that will never happen. I dont have a good solution to any of this other than I personally will not pay for any bullets the Mexican cartel uses to kill innocent men, women, and children by buying illegal drugs.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
Are you perhaps equating prohibition with regulating? Alcohol was still regulated after prohibition was repealed.
18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which banned the manufacture, transportation and sale of intoxicating liquors.

Ridgerunner said:
If I remember rightly, the attempt to make amphetamines harder to acquire was to try to reduce the amount of meth labs in the neighborhoods. Restricting amphetamines did not lead to meth labs. They were already here.
Perhaps, but not near as many as now. I did say pharmaceutical, ie. those manufactured legally.

Ridgerunner said:
As for the War on Drugs, I think the problem is the users. The smugglers and distributors would be out of business overnight if people would quit using. We both know that will never happen. I dont have a good solution to any of this other than I personally will not pay for any bullets the Mexican cartel uses to kill innocent men, women, and children by buying illegal drugs.
A noble thought to be sure, but than noble thoughts are the problem which was my point in making this list. Making something illegal does not curb the desire of some to have/do it.

Let's try an extreme example. Suppose a study came out (It would probably be funded by one of the food giants.) that "proved" that home gardens were unhealthy for some reason, and the 'guvmint' in it's wisdom :/ decided that gardening should be left to large corporations. Would you stop gardening?

Steve, there is a difference between politics and philosophy. I consider this to be the latter. :) I simply questioned the wisdom of outlawing things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Outlawing things is, by definition a political decision.

You also have equated the beliefs of my grandmother with that of a prize fighter who refused to serve in the American military.

As I said, all 3 of her youngest children volunteered for military service to serve in wars. The 3 youngest daughters were all married to husbands in military service.

She took her 3 sons back to the farm thinking somehow that this would keep them out of the war. They defied her by one-by-one volunteering. They respected her and loved her for the remainder of her life. It may be difficult for some to understand her thinking and the thinking of her family.

And that is the problem with subjects like this on a gardening forum, in my view. We can suggest that others should respect our thinking but when it comes right down to it - there are some who will just discount the convictions of others as unpatriotic and beyond misguided. EVEN when those thoughts are expressed by a combat veteran and someone who is elected by a majority of Americans as president.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I once knew a mafiosa "soldier" (the lowest rung) who lived in my neighborhood. It would be a stretch to call him a friend but we did share some talk at the local bar. I'll always remember something he told me.
"Everytime they make something that people want illegal they're putting money in my pocket. You name it. For the right price I can get you anything you want".

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Understand guns to hunt with, to kill pests, and target practice. Understand gun collecting, especially those that study history.

Someone explain the need for WORKING assault weapons. We all know the risks of them-especially with those that don't safe guard them.

Whether anyone likes it or not, majority rules in USA. The majority do not want to live with neighbors armed with assault weapons, especially with young kids. Don't like it, move to where it is legal or get the laws changed--then I'll have to move where neighbors don't see need. :)