Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Civil War assault weapon:

Springfield.jpg

:lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Old guy, could have posted pix of rock with caption caveman's assault weapon. If they become illegal some of us are in trouble.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve makes a good point on how these topics can get out of hand, but as long as we treat each other with respect I dont see a big problem in them.

OldGuy, I admit sometimes your posts remind me of talking to my wife. Im not always sure where you are headed with these topics.

Are you philosophically saying that people will want assault rifles if they are prohibited? Are you saying people wanted alcohol more because it was prohibited? That more people commit murder or steal because these things are prohibited?

Or are you saying that since prohibiting them doesnt work, we shouldnt even bother to try?

Are you headed somewhere else entirely?

Prohibition doesnt work for everyone. Thats been proven. You are dealing with people. But it does set boundaries on what society expects. Sometimes there are unintended consequences, like the rise of organized crime during prohibition. Sometimes the consequences are not worth the perceived benefits to society.

I have no doubt that if assault weapons are banned, the underground trade in them will continue. Im not convinced they should be banned to start with. Im not convinced that a ban on assault weapons will fuel the rise in crime equivalent to prohibition or the war on drugs did or has, but yeah, there will be smuggling and underground trade in them.

But if that is the decision of society, boundaries will have been set. Setting these boundaries will keep the more honest people a little more honest. It wont prevent the mass killings from ever happening again but the attempt will have been made to stop a few or make the consequences of some of these acts less severe.

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My initial idea with this post really had nothing to do with banning guns or any other "political" topic. I was hoping for a discussion on the hypocrisy of those who want to ban something that they don't want to do/own anyway because "their neighbor might not be as smart as they are." Mentioning assault rifles was just an attention getter. Guess it was a bad choice. :hide

It all started with a news story about a gun control rally at the capital here in Austin. The Austin Chief of Police had spoken in favor of stricter gun laws. Well of course he is. As a law enforcement officer the law wouldn't affect him. He can acquire, or at least has available to him all manner of weapons that aren't available to the average citizen. Cops don't go bad, do they? Can you say Dorner? I won't even begin to touch on how quickly the police force would respond if their chief called them.

Let's move onto the President. He just signed into law a bill that gives him and his wife Secret Service protection for life. (FYI: it used to be 10 years.) Why would he need a gun at all? Those guys are bound to be armed, and much better with firearms than he could ever be. Members of Congress are also protected by the Secret Service.

Enough about elected officials; Who remembers that staunch gun control advocate, Rosie O'Donnell. If you're old enough to remember, she had armed private security guards protecting her family.

Having said that, I'm ready to get back to the big picture:

Anti-abortionists - Would never get one but, "their neighbor might not be as smart as they are."
Anti-gay rights - Have no intention of following that lifestyle but, "their neighbor might not be as smart as they are."
Tax-the-Rich-Folks - Haven't managed to get rich themselves for whatever reason but, "their neighbor might not be as smart as they are."
War-on-Drugs - Wouldn't consider using drugs but, "their neighbor might not be as smart as they are."
Anti-GMO - Avoid them like the plague, but "their neighbor might not be as smart as they are."

No one wants to make illegal anything that he wants to do! Why can't we really respect the fact that everyone doesn't think as we do and leave them alone?
:idunno

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
OldGuy, because I don't want my neighbor firing M80's, firing cannons, practicing with bazooka's, keeping lions, tigers and bears in backyard with insecure facilities. I don't want meth labs in my neighborhood. That's the reason for laws. Some I agree with, some I don't. If it means enough to me, I move to where what I want to do is not illegal, otherwise you submit to the will of the many.

As far as you other point of abuses from people with power, no surprise as it's been going on ever since Jews asked God for King and were told the end result of that.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
OldGuy, because I don't want my neighbor firing M80's, firing cannons, practicing with bazooka's, keeping lions, tigers and bears in backyard with insecure facilities. I don't want meth labs in my neighborhood. That's the reason for laws. Some I agree with, some I don't. If it means enough to me, I move to where what I want to do is not illegal, otherwise you submit to the will of the many.

As far as you other point of abuses from people with power, no surprise as it's been going on ever since Jews asked God for King and were told the end result of that.
And I definitely have neighbors who would... :p

OldGuy43 said:
Let's move onto the President. He just signed into law a bill that gives him and his wife Secret Service protection for life.
He's probably going to need it.