Athena Melons

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with Athena cantaloupes? I'm in zone 7 (N. Cen. Tex) and I purchased this seed last year. Didn't get to plant any but planning to this spring. :tools

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I LOVE athena cantelope. They are all I grow anymore. Awesome flavor and texture. They'll keep for a week or two well in the fridge. They are very disease resistant too, and I have found them to be abundantly productive. Good for a road side market I'd think too. They are a hybrid though, so no saving the seeds.

Here's some pics from mine:

DSCF3786b_web.jpg

DSCF3720_web.jpg

luvsdirt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement Journey....those look wonderful! Can't wait to plant them now...:coolsun

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My goodness! No wonder you love those melons. They look heavenly! Wish I could scratch and sniff that pic!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
My goodness! No wonder you love those melons. They look heavenly! Wish I could scratch and sniff that pic!
:yuckyuck Right about now, I wish I could too! :lol:

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, why do you say you cannot save the seeds from this hybrid? are the seeds treated or something? or is the patent still owned by someone and seed saving of it is not yet allowed?

if they are the only melon you grow on your property they should stay relatively pure and true to what their characteristics are supposed to be! there are plenty of hybrid plants that are now considered hybrids and people have kept the seeds from the plants for years!

i'd say to give it a try and save those seeds at the end of this season! :D i did it with a Johnny's Exclusive melon variety and i'm crossing my fingers that they are just as tasty this year as they were last year!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
It could produce a good melon if you gave it a try, but it won't come out just like the Athena it came from. Hybrids won't generally produce true in the next generation. It may take several crosses to stablize the line, but some of the characteristics that are present in the Athena melons would likely be lost.