Attempting to make Sweet pickle relish

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am attempting. So far so good my first recipe said "ground cukes" so I put them in my food processor and got soup. English is my first language but darn some times I struggle so much to understand what thing mean. MY DH though that ground means like with a rock. So I figured I would chop them. I will let you know how it goes.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Finely chopped sounds right to me.

The original recipe may have had in mind, "run thru a hand-cranked meat grinder", which with a coarse plate on it might produce that sort of effect. (I've never tried putting a cuke into a meat grinder, so I don't know for sure :p)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ok done. But what does "press out liquid" mean. I squeeze as much liquid as I could out of the veggies. And I hope thing work out we shall see. Also boiling vinegar is nasty. But I have relish. :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Ok done. But what does "press out liquid" mean. I squeeze as much liquid as I could out of the veggies.
That is what it means :) If you are really obsessive about not wanting watery <whatever you're making> you can salt the sliced/chopped/whatevered cukes and leave them in a strainer under a full bowl of water to help the process along. And a clean dish towel helps to blot up the last of the water. Depends how picky you are about the final product though.

Also boiling vinegar is nasty.
No it's not, it's wonderful, like living inside of a very strong pickle :) Clears your sinuses real good, LOL

Congrats on your relish!! :D

Pat

Latest posts