attracting bees

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Last year I didnt do as good as I could have with some things in the garden, and Im wondering if there are ways to attract bees to the garden. I live in a rural area but raising bees is more than i want to do. I know bees arent as plentiful but do you think planting certain varieties of flowers would attract them?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sow white clover in your lawn :) Seriously.

They seem to like things with small purplish flowers, like blue or pink perennial sage, or hyssop (which is a very nice plant on its own and one shouldn't need bees as an excuse to plant it!). THose are the most memorably bee-covered plants in my garden, there are LOTS of others.

Pat

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
it sure will help. I have two large patches of bee balm. Plus lots of wild bee balm in the fields. I was just reading where planting flowers to attract the bees would be helpful. Butterfly bush, daisy, honeysuckle, cosmos, lillies, hollyhocks...there are tons of sweet smelling flowers and herbs that the bees love. Plus, I see where my neighbor keeps sugar water out for his bees.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sugar water is an interesting idea . . .

I was stung so many times as a kid - walking in the white clover barefoot . . .

Hyssop and bee balm are related plants. The bees really seem to like that blooming mint family.

Another family - - I have wild carrot around the garden. Kind of a pesky weed but where it is out of the way, I let it grow and bloom. Last year, I planted sweet fennel in the garden. When it bloomed the bees loved it.

Steve

ozark hen

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Woo hoo, my two quince bushes are in full bloom and the amount of bees all over them is amazing. tons of them.. :bee :woot :bee I am so glad to see them here. I could see/hear but a few last year.

Latest posts