Autumn Corn report, 2020

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, Fall has officially begun for me!

Yesterday, I bought my first Indian corn of the season (pumpkins show up so early here they are a poor bellwether, so I count fall from the corn)

So as usual I am starting a thread on anything interesting that shows up (I may mention pumpkins too, if anything interesting is there)

Not a lot so far of large (I suspect at this point the markets mostly are selling off their leftovers from last year*) Nothing really good for the door (what with most of it missing half it's kernels, or its shucks there's only one door presentable ear) But I found something of interest on three of them; one with some sweet kernels mixed in (those tend to show up early, since it is usually only the earliest tasseling Indian corn that is open when the sweet corn is spreading its pollen around) and two bunches with three ears (all dent) (one on one, two on the other) with a few nicely stippled kernels.

With all the corn I lost to critters this spring, I REALLY need to re-stock. Just my luck for this to be the year it is, with no safe way to get to the farmers market in Union Square (where I usually get about a third of my corn). Add on the fact that the mini non-pop is getting really old (it's pushing a decade) and next year may be last ditch.

Not much on pumpkins we got a small flattish white one just to have a pumpkin, but it is too small to carve.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
do squirrels and/or raccoons go after the corn on the door? oh, and the bluejays. i think ours here would go after anything we tried to hang anyplace. we have a good population of them and they all know what corn looks like.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did not know I should be eating nixamilized corn. I look forward to it, from a niacin perspective.

Yes dear, these tamales ARE healthy!

Last edited:

Latest posts