Autumn Melancholy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was talking with a couple of gardeners over the weekend about killing frosts. I really should have been more sensitive . . .

Both gardeners have many years of experience. This isn't the 1st frost that they've seen, not by many decades.

One was telling me about the damage in his garden (not all that far from mine :/). He had already informed me on the morning of the frost that he knew that he'd lost some things. So, this was his 2nd report on the event. I said that I'd seen that there had been "a possibility of frost in outlying areas" and his must be an "outlier."

We were faced with a record high temperature that afternoon. Any value to all the heat for his garden was being lost on those plants.

The other gardener is an elderly woman. She grew up in this area - well, about 150 miles to the north. She was telling me about frost in her current home. It is notorious for having a very short growing season.

I pointed out that her old home had probably already experienced frost and asked if she'd ever thought of moving somewhere that gardening would be a little easier. She said that she hoped that she didn't sound like she was whining about it.

I told her that it is difficult for gardeners to be gardeners when Jack Frost slams his heavy hand down on our gardens. It was easy to see that she was upset and me saying that came a little late, I'm afraid :rolleyes:.

So, learn from my mistakes my gardening friends. There's no reason to make my blunders.

By way of penance, I have, without complaint, 1st delayed my breakfast and later interrupted it to hang heavy clothes out on the line. It may be possible for them to dry before the wind begins blowing dust again today and before rain begins to fall this afternoon . . .

Steve :(

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
This post reminds me of a quote I came across the other day...

"Let us learn to appreciate there will be times when the trees will be bare, and look forward to the time when we may pick the fruit." Anton Chekhov

I hope I can remember this, come February!!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My climate is almost the opposite of yours but I look forward to the Fall. It is the start of a whole new growing season here in So Cal. Almost like a second Spring. Time for all the cole crops and Chinese greens.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i certainly have to remember to be sensitive to other gardeners in my local area. years ago i lived in the northern end of Rochester (considered part of East Rochester by zip code) and now i am more on the southern end of it. the northern area can be sort of unpredictable since anything north of the center of town can get a hard frost or snow storm, or even a blizzard while things towards the center and south of town could get next to nothing when those chances are mentioned in the weather forecasts!

my parents still live at the northern end and they got hit with the frost a week ago and some of their plants are suffering while mine look like nothing touched them!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Never underestimate the power of a backhanded comment.

I am reminded of my grandmother who would say to me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

However, you were there, by no accident and maybe you both learned something. Maybe your skin got a little softer and hers a little harder. Maybe that comment will come back to her and birth some personal wisdom. Don't be too hard on yourself. Besides, you seem like the kind of guy who knows the taste of shoe pretty well, so this is hardly new.....lol. :thumbsup

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since my garden seems to be a pretty even mix between success and fail, i can talk to successful and failed gardeners without stepping on toes or getting the pity look.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
Never underestimate the power of a backhanded comment.

I am reminded of my grandmother who would say to me, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all."

However, you were there, by no accident and maybe you both learned something. Maybe your skin got a little softer and hers a little harder. Maybe that comment will come back to her and birth some personal wisdom. Don't be too hard on yourself. Besides, you seem like the kind of guy who knows the taste of shoe pretty well, so this is hardly new.....lol. :thumbsup
April Manier My grandma said the same thing!!! and I repeat it often...

Latest posts