baby owls

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The parents are out there. :) "Who cooks for you? Who cooks for you-all?"

They're just doing the normal baby bird "FEEEEEED MEEEEEE" call.

When I walked out with the camera this morning, the top of a nearby tree shook quite dramatically (as one of the adults flew off, most likely -- their wing beats are nearly silent.)

It was, however, kind of hard to get pictures of _birds_ with the herd of cats following me around. "What'cha doing? Can I come? Pick me up!!"

-Wendy

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is that what the parents are saying, Wendy?

The cats are risking more than being fallen over by the gardener. I've had more than one person tell me that they've watched an owl grab their cat and carry it away!!

I took this picture in 2007. I'm standing in my garden! I was so lucky that year with vole & rabbit control right next door! These are the babies, Momma was at the other end of the hay barn - she was in charge of rodent control.

Steve

PS. You did a good job with your camera, Wendy. I can only say that I tried and, of course, didn't want to frighten them:

somethings008-1.jpg

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They're getting so much better at flying! Apparently when they first leave the nest they can only climb around and jump to different branches, but now they're able flap their wings *and* land without half falling out of the tree. :D

They do the most adorable bobble head thing trying to get a look at you, then they tip their heads over backwards to find a new branch further away if you get too close.

They continue to make That Noise. Constantly. If they weren't so cute I'd want to strangle them. CCCCHHHHRREEEEEEP? CCCHHHHHRRRRRREEEEEEEP.

Momma owl is decidedly tree colored. I keep walking right up on her while I'm following the baby's sounds to find them. Then all I see is wings.

Barred owls typically don't take cats -- too much work. We have lots of squirrels and I'm sure there are mice in the woods, so I think they're well fed.

-Wendy

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Haha, I lived near a family of great horned owls one year - the ruckus at night, alllll night from them was unbelievable!! But seeing them grow up was worth all the interrupted sleep :) I've seen that head- bobble you're describing, hilarious!! Can you post us more pics!?

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Latest posts