Back from Flower shopping

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to pick up a few more things for the gardens.

Kind of slim pickings for me this time. I walked away with two small pinks, three sixes of marigolds (each of which only has one that is really all that interesting, and a new something or other whose name I'd have to check(began with a "B")

I did, however, manage to score one starring plant, in the form of a white dahlia with blossoms the size of a SUNFLOWER! Okay, a MEDIUM sunflower, but that's STILL as big around as a breakfast plate. I think it may be worth it this fall to try again with storing tubers over the winter.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Checked the name of the unknown, it's a Browallia (a bush violet).

Also managed to plant the Hooker's Chives in the chive pot, get most of the unknown mix in (the ones that appear to be members of the morning glory family will have to wait until I can clip their coats, as I know they probably won't imbibe this year unless I do). And another pot with Andean potato seeds and what I was TOLD way back when (about twenty years ago) were Anatolian White Cherries (don't look like any cherry stones I have ever seen).

So I guess that just leaves filling the tomato pots and planting them, finding a pot for the "dust seeds" (all of those weird and pretty flowers like the Happy Alien)m getting the circle/stump turned over so I can put in the long beans and the watermelons) planting the other big pot with the grasspeas lablabs and other legumes I have cooking in the greenhouses, and then it's time to tackle the vegetable garden and the corn.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to pick up a few more things for the gardens.

Kind of slim pickings for me this time. I walked away with two small pinks, three sixes of marigolds (each of which only has one that is really all that interesting, and a new something or other whose name I'd have to check(began with a "B")

I did, however, manage to score one starring plant, in the form of a white dahlia with blossoms the size of a SUNFLOWER! Okay, a MEDIUM sunflower, but that's STILL as big around as a breakfast plate. I think it may be worth it this fall to try again with storing tubers over the winter.
I've heard of dahlias that go by the term 'dinnerplate dahlias'. Maybe it's one of those?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've heard of dahlias that go by the term 'dinnerplate dahlias'. Maybe it's one of those?
Actually, you are right!. I just looked dinnerplate dahlias up, and "Fleurel" (which is what mine is) is one of them!

Though, based on the other ones I saw, actually getting to that size seems to be the exception, not the norm. The average size of blossom seems to be closer to a tea or coffee cup in diameter (still pretty big, but no where near the size of a dinnerplate).

Latest posts