Back in Buisness (Beansness?)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Online courses through your intended school or one whose credits will transfer is another good option if available. You'd save on living expenses either way. My mom got her Masters in psychology from a major university, all from the comfort of her home office.

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had already looked into doing online courses with Prescott. They are available but not for freshmen. And even then I would need to attend orientation day on campus each year. Unless I can find a good "junior\community" college in which I can do lessons online, I am tempted to skip that step and just go with any scholarships and grants I can get. (And sign up for food assistance and such to decrease my financial load in other areas.)

Would starting off working toward one degree at first also be a good idea as far as money and available time goes? I would think that it would also be a good way to avoid getting into too much debt at once. I'm thinking about just going for the permaculture course first and then going for the degree in botany much later or vise versa.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of times many of your credits will apply toward both, leaving you only a couple classes away from obtaining that second degree. This is something your advisor/guidance counselor can help you examine. Another tip--don't try to figure things out on your own, make frequent appointments to check in with yours. They can really help you make good decisions toward the path you want to go. And it's free advice. :)

I made so many mistakes during my stint in college, basically just not knowing what I was doing. I was the first in my family to go, so my parents weren't able to guide me and I didn't avail myself of those available to advise me either in high school or college. Just didn't know that help was there.

If I had it to do over again, I should have kept living in the dorms because on-campus housing is covered by financial aid while a private apartment is not. Thought I had to have a dog, lol. I just about killed myself trying to work 40 hours to afford it and do school and it did not work out well. :\

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, over here you can only stay in the dorms during your freshman year.

Mary

Wow, that would be hard if you didn't have any choice! It was 20 years ago that I went to Virginia Tech and I'm sure some things have probably changed since then or maybe just depends where you go. They may have even required freshman to live on campus now that I think about it, but my grandmother lived down there and I was able to live with her for awhile. I lived in the dorms briefly, but it didn't set well with my introverted self. :oops:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, living in the dorms is now required for freshmen. I lived at home when I attended Fresno State. I also had a grant so my college education was free. I did need to have good grades to get it and to maintain them all through my college years.

Mary

Latest posts