Back to the drawing board!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, what I thought was corn sprouts, upon closer inspection, turned out to be oats! I had fertilized last year with horse manure from a horse that was grained....apparently grained alot! If I had wanted to grow oats I wouldn't have such a lush crop!!! My corn was planted about 3 wks ago, but we have had some very wet and pretty cold temps all along. Tomorrow, we plow it all in and start again, before it gets too late. I was going to try succession planting of the corn and had planted one bed 3 wks ago and another bed 2 wks ago. Both are not sprouting.

THIS time I will mulch after plowing and only leave slender rows bare, in which to plant. I think the soil may be warm enough now to germinate. Its just now getting above 45 degrees at night around here....I'm hoping that will rise steadily. I'm kissing the succession planting good-bye for now and will plant all beds to corn this week.

Son #2 graduated this weekend and its kind of sad. He'll be leaving the nest, maybe within the month. And then there was one..... :hit

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, seems like you're having a fun time.

Graduation, lack of corn sprouts, oats from horse poop.

Well, I had this nice plan for our corn this year too, was going to have nice rows of three different types. Birds and weeks later we ended up with one variety staggered plantings over a 4-6 week period. We'll see what happens. I'm really close to tilling a new area for more corn though.

Good Luck!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did....I tilled the beds under and started fresh today. The soil is warm enough now and I should still have time for a crop. Planted pumpkins the other day and they are up already! I think that now everything is just going to spring up...we've finally had some nights that were above 50 degrees, thank goodness!

Well, this is my year for experimenting and it seems like it will just be a guessing game from here on out.

Good luck to all you gardeners out there....we step out on faith, don't we? :coolsun

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Geez, you've had quite the week, haven't you?

I know how you feel about your son.....you're proud, I'm sure, but..... :hugs

I just planted some corn in a new place I want to experiment with. It seems late, but I'm giving it the old college try! Hopefully all 3 of our new plantings will do well, and produce abundantly! :coolsun

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry about the corn:( nothing like extra work huh?
I have my daughter graduating this weekend, but for me it will be, then there were 4. Not so empty a nest as you.
Don't worry, my experience with the other two that have left is they never really leave. One still comes home for the summer and acts like she owns the house and the other still can't do anything on his own or just doesn't want to.
I don't really mind though, I just worry that they will want to move out of state some day, so I try to spend as much time as possible with them now.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tutter, I'm sure our corn is going to do wonderfully!!! I'm just sure of it :fl

:lol:

Simple, I never thought that I, of all people, would be having empty nest syndrome!!! I'm a tough ol' bird, single parent, who always dreamed of how free and exciting my life would be after the kids were grown! Yeah..... now I grow enormous gardens, orchards, and chickens just to fill the time and keep my mind off of where the time went! I'm just sure I'll have plenty to keep me busy when they are gone.....I'm just sure of it :fl :frow

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beekissed, I am sure you will keep yourself busy, but just keep in mind that those kids will need you again.They will explore and relish their newfound freedom and independance and then it will become old.They will get married and have children and need grandma to babysit and give advice.They always come home again.
No one has your back like Mom!
Just think of all the Sunday family dinners you will have with all those vegetables you are growing with those grandbabies at your feet.I am sure of it.:)
The other thing that could happen is you finally get your groove with all the kids gone and then they will come back and cramp your style. :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I fully intend to be one of those eccentric little ol' ladies with the big, straw hats, puttering around in the BEST garden in the county. Brewing herbal remedies, talking to my chickens and the cat, making apple head dolls for the grandbabies! No grooves planned here....why would I want to ruin a perfectly rosey picture of old age by adding an impossible ol' curmudgeon to it?? :lol: :he When I die, I want to be cremated and my ashes scattered on the compost pile.....potash is good, they say!

Latest posts