bad, bad, BAD ME!!

mener6896

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I got 2 dozen ears of corn last week at the farmers market, and haven't frozen it yet. It is now 8 days old, and was not refrigerated. Is it still good? Can I still blanch and freeze it? Or should I make it chicken feed?

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My guess is it's probably not "sweet" corn anymore. As corn sits, the sugars turn into starch. Refrigeration slows done this convertion. Being 8 days old and unrefrigerated, it's probably still edible, but will not be sweet and is most likely very starchy. You're chickens will still appreciate it.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
biggreenthumb said:
My guess is it's probably not "sweet" corn anymore. As corn sits, the sugars turn into starch. Refrigeration slows done this convertion. Being 8 days old and unrefrigerated, it's probably still edible, but will not be sweet and is most likely very starchy. You're chickens will still appreciate it.
Agreed!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would taste it anyway just to see or prick one with your finger if the juice runs clear it may still have some flavor!

if it does then eat it ..some of the geneticly modified :p corn does hold sugar longer than it is supposed to

one thing I do with older corn is cut it off the cob and dry it in the oven then add it to beans when I cook it is not flint corn but it can taste like it when it is older

as long as it is not rotten I would find a way to use it

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
mener6896 said:
I got 2 dozen ears of corn last week at the farmers market, and haven't frozen it yet. It is now 8 days old, and was not refrigerated. Is it still good? Can I still blanch and freeze it? Or should I make it chicken feed?
One way to find out - eat it!

Latest posts