Bad day beekeeping...but things are turning around! (Update post #12)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
We still have no packages yet, they've been delayed now until next weekend. I'll believe it when I see it...
This hard winter we've just had and now a cold, wet spring, I'm not surprised. They've probably had a tough time filling orders. Hope your bees come soon!

If I lose this hive, I'll definitely be ordering a couple nucs for next spring. Not gonna be giving up so easily! :p There is also a guy my husband used to work with, retired now, who is a swarm rescuer. We exchanged numbers a couple months ago and he said he'd send some bees my way if he had more than he knew what to do with. I hope I get a chance to catch a swarm someday soon. Or do a cut-out. Three years ago we had a colony of bees take up residence in between the two doors of my dad's old cellar on the farm. If I'd only knew enough then, I could have brought them home. They froze/starved out during the winter.

Well, I better hop off of here and get to bed. Going to the zoo tomorrow!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good news! I got a call at 6:50am on Tuesday asking if I wanted to take a small swarm that they found at the plant my husband works at.

AnniversaryBees_web.jpg

This photo was taken by the fella who captured the swarm. He's a beek and oddly enough has had to remove several swarms and even cut-out a hive from the plant!

I hurried over and collected this buzzing package, covered in hazard tape:

IMGP3623_web.jpg

I got them installed in an empty deep that I had sitting around. I plan to combine them with the other weak hive next week after the new swarm has settled in. You put two sheets of newspaper between the two and by the time the bees have managed to chew through it, their scent is blended and they are one hive. I still have to verify that I don't have a queen in the first hive or laying workers to be dealt with first.

This happened on my wedding anniversary, which also coincidentally happened to be the date of my first honey harvest last year. How cool is that? :D

I am back in business! :weee

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very cool! Happy Anniversary and Happy Beekeeping!! Keep us posted when you combine them.
We just checked on our bees. It is the second day of above 90 temps. They are hot! We propped the lid up for a little added air circulation...
Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is so crazy awesome! :bee

We're still stuck beeless... things I guess never worked out with the farm we were supposed to get our hive from. Maybe we'll be lucky to get such a phone call. For now, an empty hive awaits! :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Vfem, I sure hope somebody sends a swarm your way! :fl That's probably your best bet, especially this time of year. If someone offers you one to go rescue, they're really easy to get as long as they are not way up high in a tree. They're very docile when they're swarming. Put on your gear and you just shake them into a cardboard box and tape 'em shut, then take them home and basically just dump them into their new home. Easy-peasy! :D