Bad Manners?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Store bought Birthday Dinner from a Styrofoam box! :drool YUMMY!!!! No wonder she told you "it's all under control" so you wouldn't show up with your 'ol nasty fresh vegetables and show the entire dinner party what REAL FOOD tastes like! :lol:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Playing devil's advocate (just cause I can :p )

Since I am someone who was raised on fried, boxed & manufactured meals I can understand her side. When I would put on a party - and would go out of my way and to great expense to provide what I undertood at the time to be really good food - I can see how she would be confident that the meal was 'all set'. And how she might be a little bit put out if someone showed up with an 'I can't eat that slop, here's some real food' sort of an attitude. Not that you would ever act like that Lucky! But I can see where she might be comming from.
I'd still suggest that you save the fresh veggies for your next party and let her put on the party she's planned.
The important part is to spend time with family and to celebrate that a family member has made it one more year. That is something that alot of folks won't be doing this Summer.

:frow
just my opinion

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
dewdropsinwv said:
Doesn't that get on your nerves when someone is being offensive and they don't care? One of my many pet peeves!
Kind of makes ya wonder how she's put up with me all these years, doesn't it?

Anyway, when we have a party, it's always cookout/picnic style. I don't care if you bring something, the more the merrier. Heck, I don't even care what it is. Enough people show up that no matter what is brought, somebody will eat it. Just don't bring some crappy cut of meat and ask me to cook it for you.

But, that's at our house. If the person throwing the party is a relative, I say take something..."just to help out". They'll get over it. Besides, if you don't particularly like this individual, maybe you won't get invited to any more parties with crappy food :D

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:

I'd still suggest that you save the fresh veggies for your next party and let her put on the party she's planned.
The important part is to spend time with family and to celebrate that a family member has made it one more year. That is something that alot of folks won't be doing this Summer.

just my opinion
That's very true. I like how you think Cane.

Early in our marriage my DH and I were known as the "health freaks" on both sides of the family. My attitude was always, this family member thought enough of us to invite us and went to some inconvenience and labor to make a meal. I will eat what they offer and be grateful.
My body is not a temple, it will get over whatever this food has in it that I wouldn't ordinarily eat. We had enough hurdles to get over with some family memebers accepting us, I didn't want to appear uppity.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
canesisters said:

just my opinion
That's very true. I like how you think Cane.

Early in our marriage my DH and I were known as the "health freaks" on both sides of the family. My attitude was always, this family member thought enough of us to invite us and went to some inconvenience and labor to make a meal. I will eat what they offer and be grateful.
My body is not a temple, it will get over whatever this food has in it that I wouldn't ordinarily eat. We had enough hurdles to get over with some family memebers accepting us, I didn't want to appear uppity.
Agree, their party, eat what is there or stay home.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Believe me, I would rather stay home and eat flour. It's one of those mandatory things, as happens in families once in a while. I am the transportation for two elderly ladies who definitely want to be there, so I will buck up and have fun if it kills me.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Believe me, I would rather stay home and eat flour. It's one of those mandatory things, as happens in families once in a while. I am the transportation for two elderly ladies who definitely want to be there, so I will buck up and have fun if it kills me.
I totally know what you mean Lucky! Sometimes tho' I have been pleasantly surprised at what I knew was going to be worse than torture turn out to be something completely nice, if not actually fun.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellp, couple ideas from the ole neanderthal here.

One, you could go all out southern chivalry and being armloads of food.

Two, you could think of it like this. Bring food. Food is food.

So, I guess either way I'm suggesting you bring food! :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would say bring food also. Many times people will say you don't need to bring anything but it really is appreciated.

Just think, you get a treat. You get to eat some fried food! Yum! I'm sure there will be some foods you will like there even if they aren't healthy. Treat yourself, have fun, and eat healthy the rest of the time.

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I can be a lot more bit(&y than I like to admit. So, I will take a harmless, no strings attached, no hidden agenda fruit salad, and enjoy seeing relatives that I haven't seen in a couple of years.

Latest posts