Bad Weather Night

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just saw this thread, so glad you got through it safely @so lucky . Tornadoes are the worst, here one minute gone the next.
We've had small earthquakes here but not a big one although they say the big one's coming. High wind, one in particular did a lot of damage in Stanley Park on the mainland http://globalnews.ca/news/3123909/watch-10-years-since-major-windstorm-hit-stanley-park/
A few years back we had a freak wind here, It was a calm day, I walked out to the greenhouse and just got inside when it hit, scared the h*ll out of me. All of a sudden the air was full of the sound of cracking and falling of limbs off the old growth trees across the road from us, looking up over the roof of our house at these trees they looked like they were going to bend in half. The rumbling noise inside the greenhouse was almost deafening. Five minutes later it was over, back to the calm but the road out front was covered in tree limbs and branches, a covering of evergreen needles over everything, we were so lucky none hit our house.
I can hardly imagine living through a tornado, it must be terrifying. Do many people build storm cellars in your neck of the woods? How does one prepare?
Annette

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you're okay So Lucky and Smiles Jr.

My sis finally lives in a house with a basement and she feels so much more secure during tornado warnings. I can't imagine what it's like dealing with that uncertainty.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Best wishes for those that haven't checked in yet. :fl

When I first moved here I built a storm shelter so we'd have a safe place to go. We've only used it once and luckily that one went right over this valley, didn't do any damage. But my neighbor that's lived here for a long time mentioned one did touch down several years back about where my house is. I don't like tornadoes.

We have an alert system here where both out landline and my wife's cell phone rings if one is spotted. Even if a tower goes down the landline should get a warning to us.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are so many people around here who live in mobile homes, and without adequate tie downs. It is amazing there aren't more people killed than there are. There are companies that sell below-ground safe rooms; just a steel vault, really, for people to get into during a storm. In some areas, a basement is not feasible due to the high water table.
We have some excellent TV tracking teams that really go above and beyond, in letting us know what's coming. I have a feeling folks who no longer have network TV, just hulu or Netflix, do not get notified when a tornado is coming.
One of the interesting things about this tornado, in Perryville, is that wrecked cars from a junk yard along side the interstate got picked up and slammed into semi trucks driving south on the interstate, knocking them over and off the road.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My phone started going off with severe weather warnings around 5:30am and we had two tornado warnings where they spotted rotation in the clouds, but all in all it was not much of a storm. I expected the debris from my neighbor's garage fire to blow away, but it barely moved thankfully as that could have been bad since there was lots of sheet metal piled up. There was a lot of rain though and water came in the basement.

Latest posts