Bald eagles visited today

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two in my trees behind the barn with a hawk. Bunch in the sky.
They visited before a few years ago. Probably yearly, but I don't notice.
Screenshot (11).png
Screenshot (29).png
Screenshot (30).png
FB_IMG_1574619506226.jpg
FB_IMG_1574619527843.jpg

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@secuono , do you live near a river or lake? They gather in this area near the Mississippi river, and some of the larger lakes. A winter time bonus, getting to see these beauties.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a blessing to get to see that many eagles!!! I saw one this weekend on a trip to the mountains and find them to be distinctive among all birds....just the span of the wings, the way they fly and their regal manner all make my heart do a flip when I see one.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here they stay for about a month around Peru, IN. Farmers have counted up to 50+ at a time. They are majestic to look at. Only to realize they are scavengers like a turkey buzzard......& to think in the 60’s we almost lost them.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many years ago we went to Loess Bluffs Wildlife Refuge in north west Missouri. Hundreds of bald eagles gather there every winter. Imagine seeing a lot of bald eagles everywhere you look. Very impressive.

When I was in Arkansas a bald eagle flew over the valley I was in a few times, not many. But one time one perched across the road in a dead tree in a pasture not that far from the kitchen window. That made a memory.

One time we were driving in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison area of Colorado. In the wilderness scrub we saw a large bird on the ground. It was the ugliest, scruffiest raggedest bird I've ever seen. It took a while to realize it was an immature bald eagle. Like some of us, they have to mature a bit to achieve really impressive status. Man, that bird was ug-ah-lee.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
@secuono , do you live near a river or lake? They gather in this area near the Mississippi river, and some of the larger lakes. A winter time bonus, getting to see these beauties.

There's lots of different sized creeks, rivers and ponds here. IDK how large a river needs to be to attract them.

The day before, hunter got a deer. Later the same day I posted, 20 or so vultures were flying around feet from my house and hills trying to pinpoint where the deer was. Maybe the hawk and eagles were there for the same deer.

There's a blue heron that lives here, the one that hot stuck in my pond. He's still making trips to the surrounding ponds, my watering pond and the creek around the property. He's ignoring my koi pond, so that's good.

Tons of wildlife right at my farm. There was a bear at my fence once, bear on mountain ridge, coyotes came by on the horse track the other week, foxes live in the mountain side across the creek, a few cute skunks, too. And obviously the gross raccoon hoards.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many years ago we went to Loess Bluffs Wildlife Refuge in north west Missouri. Hundreds of bald eagles gather there every winter. Imagine seeing a lot of bald eagles everywhere you look. Very impressive.

When I was in Arkansas a bald eagle flew over the valley I was in a few times, not many. But one time one perched across the road in a dead tree in a pasture not that far from the kitchen window. That made a memory.

One time we were driving in the Black Canyon of the Gunnison area of Colorado. In the wilderness scrub we saw a large bird on the ground. It was the ugliest, scruffiest raggedest bird I've ever seen. It took a while to realize it was an immature bald eagle. Like some of us, they have to mature a bit to achieve really impressive status. Man, that bird was ug-ah-lee.

I was at Bush Gardens as a kid and they had bald eagles in an exhibit. First time seeing them somewhat up close.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is our local area to see Bald Eagles with the counts over a few years:

This is a local photographer showing how the eagles catch fish (link). Somewhere, he has a picture of one eating a duck. It's the fish that they are mostly after, every winter. If they lake freezes over, as it does sometimes, they must just travel further south.

I was sitting having lunch on the river that flows from the lake not so long ago. A Merganser duck was down in in the water. It was summer and the water was very low.

An eagle showed up - not so common in the summertime. He immediately got good and wet but the duck dived out of his reach. The eagle flew up off the water and sat in a pine tree to dry as the Merganser floated a ways downstream while keeping an eagle-eye on the predator.

Steve

Latest posts