Banana pepper and zucchini ideas?

gardenmama

Sprout
Reaction score
We have zucchini, yellow summer squash and sweet banana peppers coming out of our ears. I have heard that some people freeze shredded zucchini and banana peppers. Do you need to blanche the zucchini? I have frozen it in the past and it seemed dry when thawed. I have never frozen banana peppers and don't have any ideas what to do with all that yellow squash. Help!

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yellow squash is easy to freeze. Just cut into slices, blanch 3 minutes and freeze. I freeze mine on an old cookie sheet with a wax paper liner, then bag in freezer bags. That way the pieces stay seperate rather than a big frozen blob. :)

gardenmama

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks. I will definitely try that with the yellow squash.

jessejames

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
with the banana peppers to freeze you will have to rst and remove skin for best result.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I pickle banana peppers. I also freeze all my excess peppers. I don't even blanch them, though I found that blanching does help them keep better flavor and color.
I just cut any peppers I have into slices and feeze them on a cookie sheet. Once they are frozen I try to vaccuum seal them. Sometimes I don't have the time and they just stay in reclosable bags. We ate peppers all winter long. Yummy. I also mix the peppers up. That way when I open a bag, I have different colors and slightly different flavors. Great sauteed with onion, or tossed in any dish you're making

Doodle Do

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I slice zucchini toss in bags and freeze. Works well for lasagna or mixed veggies. I shred it also and us for breads. You can cube it and freeze to make a crisp later in the year. If I have a ton of it, chop up freeze. Great for treats for the chickens in the winter warmed up or early spring to cool down.
Banana peppers: I clean and toss in freezer to stuff with sausage. I also stuff them with shredded cabbage and pickle them for a delicious treat or pickle tray.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Zucchini is DELICIOUS grilled! I cut it up in chunks to put on skewers, or I just cut thick slices, and grill them with a little olive oil & soy sauce.

Latest posts