Banana Peppers

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can handle peppers bare handed, but I will never do it again. About a month ago I was making salsa. Every year I grind up my excess jalapenos and put in the freezer in a block shape. So when I make salsa I just take a knife and scrape the ice block and shave jalapenos in there to taste.

Later after cooking supper I took my first bite of taco and holy moley, my face and lips were set afire. It wasn't the salsa, it was the jalapeno oils on my fingers. For days when I would lick my fingers, there was subtle warmth of jalapenos. Funny now, but I was really suffering for 3 or 4 hours. My face and lips were swollen and really red.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because of this thread and video, I planted some mixed peppers seeds in my garden. I love to can but have never grown peppers and tried to pickle them.

Something new to learn!

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I used my sweet banana peppers to make "Sweet Banana Pepper Mustard" from a recipe I found online. I did use 105 sweet banana peppers instead of 40, but I think they're delicious! It is delicious, and everyone that tries it loves it. Here is the recipe in case you would like to try it. It's easy since you start with a classic yellow already "prepared" mustard. Wear a glove when stirring because when it boils, it pops hot mustard onto your stirring hand. I did mine in a deep stock pot and used a long wooden spoon.

(Note: When I removed the seeds, I also removed the stringy "stuff" that was on the inside of the length of the peppers because I figured that might be tough to chew. A good decision.)

Sweet Banana Pepper Mustard
By: peachypie

"A sweet and tangy pepper mustard that is delicious on hot dogs, pretzels and lots more. A great way to use up an abundance of hot banana-type peppers grown in the garden."
Prep Time:
35 Min
Cook Time:
15 Min
Ready In:
50 Min
Original Recipe Yield 9 pints

Ingredients
40 sweet banana peppers (5 inches long), stems removed
4 cups prepared yellow mustard
5 cups white sugar
1 cup honey
4 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup water
Directions
1. Remove the seeds from the banana peppers and place the peppers into a blender or food processor. Process until smooth. Pour into a large pot and stir in the mustard, sugar, honey, apple cider vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, so that it is boiling so hard it cannot be stirred down.
2. Stir together the flour and water until smooth. Pour into the boiling mixture. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Pour into sterile pint jars and seal with new lids and rings. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on your altitude.
Nutritional Information
Amount Per Serving Calories: 50 | Total Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 0mg

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds really good, how many pepper plants did you grow to get all those peppers? Our plants havnt really grow since transplanting becouse of the poor weather conditions, but we are hoping it turns around soon.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
VeggiePak, I am soooooooooooooooooo making that!!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting. Sweet Banana Peppers are pretty much 0 to not much on the Scoville scale. Hot Banana Peppers are in the range of 5,000-15,000 Scoville units. This is still not real vicious but the difference would be noticeable.

Veggie PAK

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Collector said:
Sounds really good, how many pepper plants did you grow to get all those peppers? Our plants havnt really grow since transplanting becouse of the poor weather conditions, but we are hoping it turns around soon.
I had three plants that organically produced a total of 276 sweet banana peppers that weighed 16.59 pounds.

This year I have twelve plants, and I'm going to pick 4 peppers tomorrow. They are a tough plant in my experience.