Bantam corn question

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!:happy_flower

This year I planted bantam corn seeds (from seed saver I think..) and I was wondering if it was really bantam. If it's anything like chickens, it should be smaller right? Well this stuff was quite big, and it didn't have a sweet flavor to it at all. The corn was huge, the kernels were huge, and it had a tough, starchy flavor to it. I'm drying the corn out for the chickens now; we don't like it, but they go CRAZY over it! And oh, it was a bright yellow color (if that helps..). Does this sound like bantam corn to you??

Thanks! :rainbow-sun

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Never heard of bantam corn, but perhaps it wasn't meant to be a sweet corn? My guess is that because you said it was so starchy, it's purpose in life was to be grown all season, picked after it was dry, and turned into stuff like flour? Else, the corn got too old before you picked it or the season was so long and cool, the plant quickly turned all it's sugar into starch.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I planted the same stuff this year! It was called Golden Bantam & it was TERRIBLE! I thought it was because we had a bad year for corn, but I guess it was the variety.

pinkflower

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes, It was golden bantam and it was terrible. It sounds like it's just the variety. :/ Anyone have any suggestions on a sweet variety????? Something that's not a hybred though.

Thanks! :rainbow-sun

Latest posts