Basil, Basil Everywhere!!

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is a good year for Basil! I have lots of different kinds doing quite well. I have volunteers coming up all over the yard!! But here are some I planted.

This is the wheelbarrow garden. You will see three or four types of Basil, Swiss Chard, Kale, Leaf Lettuce, Chives, and a couple of other herbs.

70109WheelbarrowGardenemail.jpg

This is a Habenero with Basil, I need to cut back the basil!

70109HabeneroandBasilemail.jpg

And Here is a planter box with four types of Basil.

70109Basilsemail.jpg

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow Hi there! :frow

Beautiful Basil -- I bet it smells wonderful!

I grew six varieties which amazed me by all coming up. So far they are still in the little greenhouse but I intend moving them outside now the weather is hot.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't water basil after 12 noon as it doesn't like to have wet feet at night. Have you found that? I water early in the morning as I am an early riser so it's fine with me! :D

Happy Gardening! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice basil, i have 3 kinds of basil planted, i have cinnamon, lime, and the regular italian lettuce leaf basil.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I never have good luck growing basil in containers- boy you sure do!! It all looks wonderful! That is my absolute favorite herb- enjoy all of yours!

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Dumb question, how do you keep your basil? Dry it? Freeze it? Mine is prolific as well so I need to figure out the best way to store it.

Thanks!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beautiful Basil, so you have to plant each year, or does it drop seeds that will come up on its own-I noticed you said it was spreading. I will have to try my hand at some container basil..loved the wheelbarrow Idea!! :weee

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
tryingtohaveitall said:
Dumb question, how do you keep your basil? Dry it? Freeze it? Mine is prolific as well so I need to figure out the best way to store it.

Thanks!
I make Pesto with it. Pesto keeps quite a while in the Fridge. I suppose you could dry it. Miine stays around most of the year here.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hattie the Hen said:
:
I read somewhere that you shouldn't water basil after 12 noon as it doesn't like to have wet feet at night. Have you found that? I water early in the morning as I am an early riser so it's fine with me! :D

Happy Gardening! :rainbow-sun

:rose Hattie :rose
I have to water them daily, usually in the morning. I wonder if the "feet wet" thing is if you live in a climate that gets very cool at night? We are pretty warm here at night.

Latest posts