Bat Houses for Pest Control

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've read an article or 2 about installing bat houses to cut down on various bug populations. I'd like to do this for my gardens. Has anyone else tried this? Noticed a difference? Have plans for how to build one or a cheap source for buying them outright?

Thanks!

me&thegals

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Welcome, TMP! And thanks for the link. I will check it out. That's encouraging how fast the bats showed up! We already have bats, but I'd love a place for them to congregate and populate :)

I'd love to hear more bat stories :D

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks We have been thinking of building a bat box these are very good instructions...
Pam

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I went to pick up bluebird boxes yesterday the Game commission guy said that I might get swallows in some of them. He said if I did I should let them alone. He claims they are GREAT mosquito eaters! Our game commission also sells bat boxes for $95.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
$95.00??????? :ep

we will make our own thank you
Their bluebird houses are so reasonable but I thought $95 was a bit much for a bat house too. They are 36 x25 x 10

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have heard they eat a lot of mosquitos as well. I don't have any houses for them but I do have a pond and during the summer there are quite a few bats that hunt there. Now as we all know, the skeeters are out and about early morning and then again late evening about the time the sun is going down.

Well right about dusk the bats show up over the pond. They put on a pretty good show and the price of admission is very reasonable too. They are swooping and diving , climb back up and start over, occassionally they even brush the water just enough to make a little ripple. These are the kinda small brown bats. They are out there catching some kinda bugs which is fine by me as we seem to have more than out share of biting insects around here.:lol:

the-metal-peddler

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My pond

batbox123.jpg

Closer up my pond

batbox.jpg

Bat box

batbox1.jpg

Better pic of batbox

batbox12.jpg

Mine cost me about 10 dollars, and an hour or so of my time.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
$10 sounds a lot more reasonable! lol I wonder why they are so expensive from the Game Commission when their Bluebird boxes are only $7.

Latest posts