Bat Houses for Pest Control

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bid said:
I have heard they eat a lot of mosquitos as well. I don't have any houses for them but I do have a pond and during the summer there are quite a few bats that hunt there. Now as we all know, the skeeters are out and about early morning and then again late evening about the time the sun is going down.

Well right about dusk the bats show up over the pond. They put on a pretty good show and the price of admission is very reasonable too. They are swooping and diving , climb back up and start over, occassionally they even brush the water just enough to make a little ripple. These are the kinda small brown bats. They are out there catching some kinda bugs which is fine by me as we seem to have more than out share of biting insects around here.:lol:
They probably REALLY ARE "little brown bats". They are the most common kind here anyway.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
$95.00 sounds more like "Stately Wayne Manor" than just a bat box. For that price Alfred should come put it up for you.;)

the-metal-peddler

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Because there made from cedar would be my guess. I made mine from sorted hardwoods I harvested off my own land to build my shop from.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bid said:
$95.00 sounds more like "Stately Wayne Manor" than just a bat box. For that price Alfred should come put it up for you.;)
ROFLMAO!!! Good one! :lol:

Athena

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question...but, since bat poop aka guano is so nutrient rich, is there any way to get to it, via the bat houses??

Altho, I would have to find me a husband to do those tasks...lol.

Fertilizer or no fertilizer.. I don't think I would want to disturb a bat...

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Bats are actually gentle creatures & do not "attack" people. Usually the guano piles up underneath where they sleep.

thanks for the plans we have bats around here but I have been wanting dh to build me a box or two for a long time to encourage them to stick around here better & eat the nasty bugs.

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
the-metal-peddler said:
Yes they do help, I read in the Country Wisdom and Know How ( my mother earth bible ) they eat 600 skeeters a day.

Here are the free plans to build one yourself, as retail price from 25-40 each. I built the exact one, in some months that followed, it had bats living in it.

http://www.eparks.org/wildlife_protection/wildlife_facts/bats/bat_house.asp
Thank you so much!! I printed these out. Husband and son picked up the materials today and had 2 built in a matter of hours, and my husband is NOT really that handy in woodworking. So, it is very simple. Can't wait to get these nailed up. Does anybody happen to know if it is legal to nail them to one's phone or electric poles on your own property?

me&thegals

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
make sure to build at least 2, they will use one as a nursery. I think it should be a little lower than the other but Im not sure, I cant find the website I read it on before.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For sure they work very well! We have one up by our pool, and we enjoy many evening dips in the summer thanks to the bats' assistance with bug control.

Proof: Previous owner left me a whole bunch of electric and chemical bug zappers. They were retired to the barn and never used after the bat box went up.

Latest posts