Bay Laurel- Grown for culinary "Bay leaves" vs. Chickens

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do chickens eat Bay Laurel?

I am excited because I have been looking for one locally for a couple of years and finally found it, Laurus nobilis "Bay Laurel," or culinary Bay leaves when dried. I am debating if I should try to plant it in the backyard where the chickens will be around it or in the front yard where it will be safe for sure. Since it was hard to find and I won't be able to replace it as easy as some other plants, I don't want it to be automatic chicken snacks. However, the conditions in the backyard are more ideal for the plant. Does anyone have experience with chickens and bay laurel?

Thanks

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GardeNerd said:
Do chickens eat Bay Laurel?

I am excited because I have been looking for one locally for a couple of years and finally found it, Laurus nobilis "Bay Laurel," or culinary Bay leaves when dried. I am debating if I should try to plant it in the backyard where the chickens will be around it or in the front yard where it will be safe for sure. Since it was hard to find and I won't be able to replace it as easy as some other plants, I don't want it to be automatic chicken snacks. However, the conditions in the backyard are more ideal for the plant. Does anyone have experience with chickens and bay laurel?

Thanks
I doubt they would eat bay leaves, you should be fine with this herb i dont think they'll cause too much damage.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My chickens stay away from the Bay Laurel Laurus nobilis and my California Bay Laurel Umbellularia californica.

Besides for being in perfect growing conditions and also being in California I would recommend U. californica it may be more readily available down South where you are and tastes just like but much stronger than L. nobilis and also grows a lot faster than L. nobilis and has a wider variety of uses, IMO.

Maybe more info than you wanted. :idunno

Carlos

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have seen Bay laurel trained into small trees in large containers. There is a term for that right now that slips my mind. :rolleyes: I do not mean bonsai. That means the leaves are elevated on the trunk and out of reach by the chicks. :clap

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I find just surrounding a plant/tree with a little fence of chicken wire, usually does the trick. Even if they don't want to eat it, they might damage the plants by digging around them....Let us know how it goes!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

My marauding chickens totally ignore my bay trees; I have several as I grew some from cuttings. I don't think they like leaves that are evergreen & kind of waxy. The small ones are right next to one of the coops in a sink full of cuttings of roses & near where they feed. They ignore both the rose leaves & the bay but always eat the fallen rose petals. I think you are safe in growing bay without any kind of protection. :D

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts