Baymule’s 2020 Garden

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of my late summer early fall chores as a kid was to get weeds for our pigs. I got several different kinds but the most common was what dad called "careless weed". Another common name for it is "pigweed".

The pigweed I had in northwest Arkansas had thorns, you could hurt yourself on those. The stuff in East Tennessee where I grew up did not have thorns. There are probably several different varieties.
Yes, many different types of pigweeds.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whew! Been pulling weeds all day. My husband pulled up the English peas, two 32’ rows on the right next to the tomato trellis. I pulled up the spent broccoli plants and tossed to the pigs. I pulled a LOT of weeds today! I found about a dozen onions that I didn’t find because of the weeds. My husband gets dizzy from bending over, so I really appreciated his help. I try to find things for him to do so he can help. Pulling the peas was easier than stooping to the ground to pull the weeds I assigned to myself. We put in a days work. I want to finish this patch and plant my purple hull peas here. There is still a strip of mustard to pull. I’ll keep a few to save seed.

Before

8B522E64-F86E-44FB-AFFC-BFE2B2C9D64B.jpeg

After

2E91CA18-61FC-42C1-9DEE-34415B71361E.jpeg

I replanted the second round of Painted Mountain corn. I also planted cucumber seed, only one came up that I planted earlier. I planted jumbo banana squash in place of the Blue Hubbard that didn’t make it.

Pigs enjoying the broccoli plants!

3A655AE4-B17B-4A72-AB5A-2FA9D30F100B.jpeg

Mram0824

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Whew! Been pulling weeds all day. My husband pulled up the English peas, two 32’ rows on the right next to the tomato trellis. I pulled up the spent broccoli plants and tossed to the pigs. I pulled a LOT of weeds today! I found about a dozen onions that I didn’t find because of the weeds. My husband gets dizzy from bending over, so I really appreciated his help. I try to find things for him to do so he can help. Pulling the peas was easier than stooping to the ground to pull the weeds I assigned to myself. We put in a days work. I want to finish this patch and plant my purple hull peas here. There is still a strip of mustard to pull. I’ll keep a few to save seed.

Before

View attachment 35733

After

View attachment 35732

I replanted the second round of Painted Mountain corn. I also planted cucumber seed, only one came up that I planted earlier. I planted jumbo banana squash in place of the Blue Hubbard that didn’t make it.

Pigs enjoying the broccoli plants!

View attachment 35734

That looks like alot of work LOL, how awesome I wish I had a giant field like that to plant more LOL .

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Back to work today! We spread the load on the mule that we were too tired to unload on Friday. Then we dug out 3 more loads and spread them on the garden. That’s a total of 10 loads of composted sheep manure.

We are pooped out on scooping poop!

We finished the section of the garden.
This is where we are going to put down weed cloth to see if we like it.

View attachment 34044

On our day off yesterday we scored a load of pumpkin boxes. They are triple thickness. We’ve been getting them for several years.

View attachment 34046

This section of the garden is where we will lay out the boxes. We’ve been putting down pumpkin boxes here for 3 years.

View attachment 34045
Never heard of a pumkin box, are they kept or grown in them.

Latest posts