Baymule’s 2020 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I made tomato sauce, cooked it down and made spaghetti sauce. I added mushrooms, onions and celery, along with Italian seasoning, garlic and salt. I precooked the mushrooms, onions and celery, then drained through a colander so I wouldn't be adding more water to my cooked down sauce. I got 13 pints and a quart about 3/4 full that we will have tonight.

We bought a half bushel of okra, cut it up, blanched, vacuum sealed and put in the freezer. A customer wanted tomato sauce, canned jalapenos, eggs, 1/2 bushel of peas, and eggplant, so we took it to them. I made a batch of pico de gallo, that stuff is so good. I was so tired that I left a big pot in the sink full of soapy water, which i never do. I always clean up my canning mess, I'm real particular about my canning supplies. I was just too tired to care. Today I only have a half bushel of Purple Hull peas to wash, blanch and put in the freezer. We are going Elderberry picking and I'll wash those, we'll pick the berries off the stems and I'll wash them again, bag and freeze them. Time to make Elderberry syrup!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule , boy this years garden is making up for your past misfortunes, our garden started slow , slow, slow it is coming along ok, but when the mini heat wave hit some stuff bolted others started growing better. our tomatoes have not even reached the top of a 5’ cage yet and yours are off the charts. Oh well I can accept a bad season here , and be happy for your bumper crops there. Enjoy keeping up with your garden season.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday I made tomato sauce, cooked it down and made spaghetti sauce. I added mushrooms, onions and celery, along with Italian seasoning, garlic and salt. I precooked the mushrooms, onions and celery, then drained through a colander so I wouldn't be adding more water to my cooked down sauce. I got 13 pints and a quart about 3/4 full that we will have tonight.

We bought a half bushel of okra, cut it up, blanched, vacuum sealed and put in the freezer. A customer wanted tomato sauce, canned jalapenos, eggs, 1/2 bushel of peas, and eggplant, so we took it to them. I made a batch of pico de gallo, that stuff is so good. I was so tired that I left a big pot in the sink full of soapy water, which i never do. I always clean up my canning mess, I'm real particular about my canning supplies. I was just too tired to care. Today I only have a half bushel of Purple Hull peas to wash, blanch and put in the freezer. We are going Elderberry picking and I'll wash those, we'll pick the berries off the stems and I'll wash them again, bag and freeze them. Time to make Elderberry syrup!
You have been busy! You sure are making up foe last years garden! How much do you charge for the canned vegetables you sell?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We picked elderberries today, driving several places to pick. Then we sat under a couple of trees, picking the tiny berries off the stems. Had to stop at 4:00 to do evening chores, feed animals, cook supper. After we ate, DH stayed in to finish picking off the elderberries, I went to the garden to pick peas. I picked 4 rows, got a laundry basket full, plus some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes. I staggered to the house, DH was worn out, so I finished up the elderberries, wasn’t many left to do. Then I washed and packaged them. I got 9 bags of 2 cups each, in the freezer. I spread out the peas so they would not go through a heat and sat down. It’s been a nice day but I’m tired.

The door just slammed, it was my tired A$$ dragging in.

BD249402-2E89-4CF6-813D-4655C28B454F.jpeg

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We picked elderberries today, driving several places to pick. Then we sat under a couple of trees, picking the tiny berries off the stems. Had to stop at 4:00 to do evening chores, feed animals, cook supper. After we ate, DH stayed in to finish picking off the elderberries, I went to the garden to pick peas. I picked 4 rows, got a laundry basket full, plus some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes. I staggered to the house, DH was worn out, so I finished up the elderberries, wasn’t many left to do. Then I washed and packaged them. I got 9 bags of 2 cups each, in the freezer. I spread out the peas so they would not go through a heat and sat down. It’s been a nice day but I’m tired.

The door just slammed, it was my tired A$$ dragging in.

View attachment 36418
I havent tried this but I read somewhere that if you freeze the whole cluster of elderberries for a day or so the berries will fall of th stem much easier. Like I said, I havent tried this but maybe you can try with one cluster in the future. Those tomatoes are making my mouth water!

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I havent tried this but I read somewhere that if you freeze the whole cluster of elderberries for a day o
. DW bought Elderberries from a Craigslist ad last winter and that was how they came. The person had froze the whole clusters and then bagged them in clumps for sale. Not sure if it made the picking easier or not but I can find out and let you all know if you like.

Latest posts