Baymule’s 2020 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The stems are supposed to be toxic, hence the reason for picking off the berries.

DW said she picked them off the stems frozen and thawed out and the both were tedious and slow. She read about cooking the whole bunch at a time and straining out the stems and seeds, which turned out to be the best for her. She was making medicinal elderberry syrup so it worked better and many times faster than picking each berry off. The syrup is pretty good I take 1 large tablespoon daily.

You ain’t dead, so I guess as long as they are strained out and not ingested, it’s ok? Or maybe she’s slowly getting rid of you..... :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today I will be canning chicken for the dogs. It is clean out the freezer day. We bought four 10# bags of leg quarters for the dogs, I'm cooking the last one now. I dragged out bags of chicken parts left over from our last chicken slaughter day, will be canning those too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe I'm safe with only 6 zucchini

The little granddaughters came over and we planted 8 hills of zucchini.

I almost hate to bother you with a question, Bay' . You need your rest!

Do you make zucchini bread, and with all those zucchini, do you think I can cook and freeze zucchini for making bread later?

What follows is trivial and you can stop reading but:
I have made pumpkin bread just fine doing that. DW takes special pride in her zucchini bread and it's universally liked. As soon as I told her that the plants look rather puny this year and 2020 might be a year they go down to mildew she panicked. "I should make some more zucchini bread!"

"Why don't you just freeze the pulp? It will take up less room than bread and we have lots of things to put in that freezer." I think that she already has six loaves in there. My idea met immediate resistance. I promised to find out if others freeze their cooked zucchini for later breadmaking. Can't be sure that she will even try it but hope that she will control some of this unbridled enthusiasm, especially on 90°+ days.

I did learn from DW that she doesn't especially like my Butterbelly crookneck. That only hurts my feelings if we have a bad zucchini summer and a bad zucchini bread winter ;).

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' When we have surplus Zucchini I grate it and freeze in 2 cup portions. Just what is needed for my Zucchini bread recipe!

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

3 C. all-purpose flour

¼ C. unsweetened cocoa powder

1 T. ground cinnamon (I use a little less)

1 t. baking soda

½ t. baking powder

1 t. salt

2 C. white sugar

3 eggs

1 C. Vegetable oil

2 t. vanilla

2 C. shredded zucchini

1 C. chopped walnuts

1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. degrees. Lightly grease two 9X5 loaf pans

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix well. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and eggs, beat until well blended. Add oil and vanilla, mix well. Stir in zucchini. Add flour mixture, stir until just moistened. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips. Spoon into loaf pans.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, Remove from pans, cool completely on wire rack.

ENJOY !!! J

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' When we have surplus Zucchini I grate it and freeze in 2 cup portions. Just what is needed for my Zucchini bread recipe!

[/QUOTE

Same here. I grate it, measure it out, and freeze it. No blanching. no cooking ahead of time. It's been a while, but I think it makes a lot of moisture when it thaws. I drain it before I use it in zucchini bread, if memory serves me. It's rough getting old, the memory goes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how much of that memory loss is from memory over-extension.

Each day, each experience provides more memories. Some are useful. Some aren't. It probably makes little difference to our knowledge base as we store these memories away. After all, some experiences we enjoy and treasure despite not being useful or applicable to future events. (Applicable ... always liked saying that word ... ;).)

Seems like I was told as a school kid that knowledge could be added to in an infinite measure. You know, that doesn't make much sense.

Steve

Latest posts