Baymule’s 2020 Garden

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got her in May. We now have FIVE BIG DOGS! :thI didn't set out to be a big dog collector, but it just sorta happened. :lol: Life gets really interesting around here.

haha! another diva! fun to read along and get caught up. :)

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
. That gives me 16 pints. In between, I cleaned up my messes. I sure do make a mess when i am canning. Finally I had cooked down the tomato sauce down and I canned it. I got 2 quarts and 9 pints. I am tired.
I know this is from way back, that’s only how far I’ve gotten. But this reminds me of my mother canning tomatoes when I was little, and why I have a mental aversion to canning now. I bet even tired, you are more cheerful and friendly than my mother was.

Canning day was always a hot summer day, pre-air conditioning. Little sister and I were banned from the house and would come back every few hours “Can we come inside?” “No! Go back out and play!” Big brother was less lucky. He got to be inside cuz he had to help in the sweltering kitchen. Peeling and smashing and stirring and funneling. Some of my worst childhood memories! When I can, I’m not going to be like my mother!

When I grow up, I want to be like Baymule!:lol:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
FINALLY! The sweet corn I planted was ready. I planted 95 seeds, almost all came up. Then I lost half of them while we were gone Labor Day weekend. Bummer.

So I went to the garden to pick corn. I had lots of help from Sheba, our Anatolian pup.

View attachment 37147

View attachment 37148

I dropped the tailgate on the truck, got a board to chop on, cleaver, couple of knives, pan to put the corn in and a tub to drop the shucks in. I got busy. I chop both ends with the cleaver, then rip the shucks off. I’m fast and can rip through a lot of corn in a short time.

Sheep were out in the yard and Ringo the ram came to investigate. Treats! He dug in. A ewe named Moon Pie joined him and they kept me entertained. I even slowed down, I was getting a kick out of them.

View attachment 37149

I wound up with 53 ears, some really nice, some small, All had durned worms. GRRR.....

View attachment 37145

I put them up as cream corn and took the cobs to the steer. I got way laid by Ringo! He had to have some corn cob treats. I tossed the cobs over the fence for Goldie and started back to the house. Here came Ringo! Haha he had to lick the pan! I love Ringo!

View attachment 37146
That dog is adorable. Thank you for sharing these animal and corn photos I really have enjoyed reading and seeing your world

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is my kitchen that is never messy even after canning salsa.
56E4AD78-C27E-4545-8CD9-85EAD19E1487.jpeg
9B3B1FEA-7BE5-45D9-AA7E-CE00D753D2DB.jpeg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My kitchen isn't messy either after I clean up after canning. During canning I probably run fresh wash water three or four times to keep it hot and clean. I try to keep counter space cleared off as I'm canning but how well I can do that depends some on what I'm canning. I just canned dried beans, it was pretty easy to keep up. When I can chicken broth with all the de-fatting and straining it's more of a challenge. Still, at the end of the day I don't use gloves to wash dishes so my fingernails are really clean.

I dry the pressure canner and all the racks, seals, and other stuff that goes with it but I also leave them out overnight to air dry. I want them really dry before I put them away.

Latest posts