Baymule’s 2023 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know it’s a little early to start a 2023 thread, but I got 13 syrup lick tubs today! I’ll drill holes in the bottom, fill with compost and have a garden for 2023! I’m excited! These tubs contain a protein and molasses mixture that is baked hard. Cattle lick the contents and get an extra nutrition boost. When empty, they are useful for many things, but even a cattle rancher can get too many.

I don’t know where I want to put a garden. Don’t have a tiller and really won’t even have the time to put in a first year garden. I have a ton of fence row clearing to do, old fence to take down, new T-posts to drive and new sheep and goat wire to put up. H braces to set and build, post holes to dig, a lot of hard, hot and dirty work.

Getting these tubs will allow me to have a garden and save my energy for fence building.

WHOOP!!!

08DD7FCC-9C25-4E23-8E9C-CAF880A669F1.jpeg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know it’s a little early to start a 2023 thread, but I got 13 syrup lick tubs today! I’ll drill holes in the bottom, fill with compost and have a garden for 2023! I’m excited! These tubs contain a protein and molasses mixture that is baked hard. Cattle lick the contents and get an extra nutrition boost. When empty, they are useful for many things, but even a cattle rancher can get too many.

I don’t know where I want to put a garden. Don’t have a tiller and really won’t even have the time to put in a first year garden. I have a ton of fence row clearing to do, old fence to take down, new T-posts to drive and new sheep and goat wire to put up. H braces to set and build, post holes to dig, a lot of hard, hot and dirty work.

Getting these tubs will allow me to have a garden and save my energy for fence building.

WHOOP!!!

View attachment 53270
Good thinking. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with these

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, they were free, rancher was happy to give them away. He even had me follow him to another leased pasture several miles away so he could give me about a half dozen there. I'll go to a landscaping supply and get tractor bucket loads dumped in the back of the truck.

I grew Tommy Toes for my husband. he had childhood memories of eating the Tommy Toes in his Daddy's garden. I found seed and grew them for him.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those look nice!

As they are larger than ordinary pots, you may fill them similarly to a raised bed. The lowest 1/3 for twigs and leaves, the middle layer for dirt, and the upper 1/3 for compost (even the newly trimmed or mowed stuff). This will save some money and ensure there are some additional nutrients. If you plan to sow or grow anything from next spring, it can also be an idea to cover the surface with cardboard for overwintering.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew Tommy Toes for my husband. he had childhood memories of eating the Tommy Toes in his Daddy's garden. I found seed and grew them for him.
Everyone should have this experience. It's like me growing Porters. I received the seed from Dad's youngest brother, who passed away about 10 years ago in his 80's. He said that their mother grew them during the Great Recession :).

They are a very mild "saladette" tomato and, fortunately, DW really likes them. So, that gives me 2 reasons to grow them. It isn't tuff to start tomatoes, even in just a sunny window. It takes attention to their requirements, which are quite simple. It probably helps to have a personal relationship with them beyond just the anticipation of enjoyment later, altho that helps. Develop memories of favorites. Don't be shy about enjoying Life.

Be A Part of Garden Life.

Steve

Latest posts