Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hitched flatbed trailer, went in front field and loaded it up. Drove through that gate to middle field. Put up dogs and all but 2 sheep and drove through gate. Closed gate. Stopped at first fire and unloaded yaupon and little pieces. Drove to 3rd fire and put pine logs on it. Taking ice water break. Before I go for another load, I’ll doctor Reina’s eye.

D61C3883-FE53-4A68-8BBB-7178918B963F.jpeg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
You've had a great baby goat season. Lady who raises goats and sheep and geese and chickens and heritage hogs sends out a regular email.
She had to put down one ewe that couldn't birth the 3rd of 3 lambs. She was suffering and you need to end the suffering.
She said, you have to differentiate between pet and livestock.
So the ewe filled a freezer. Had she let the Vet shoot her up with sedation, the meat would have been wasted.
The other two lambs were several days old, so no issue with colostrum. They are thriving on milk replacement.
I bought a lamb from her last fall. She wrote that the lambs were almost all preordered, so I am thinking about ordering an old ewe this year.
Difference in before butchering weight is 2x as heavy, 85 pounds vs 160 pounds, 35 pounds dressed vs ~80 pounds dressed.
Funny, she suggested that I order all of the bones. One customer refused them and ended up with much less.
Now, with "Frostbite" (over 1,000 lbs dressed Black Angus) I am swimming in broth bones.
DD was thrilled bc they gave us the suet, too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lamb shanks are leg bones with meat on them. They make wonderful stew or soup. I’ve had the leg of lamb cut into round steaks and tenderized. Chicken fried steak!

@ducks4you simmer your beef bones for broth. Put in refrigerator over night, makes it easy to get the fat off the top. Reheat, strain if you want to, and pressure can.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Made another load, threw on burn pile, another water break. I put Sheba and Buford in the pen. Sentry wouldn’t go. He sat by the gate wagging his tail. He wanted to ride in the truck! I opened the gate, put him in truck, drove through, closed gate. Drove to burn pile, let him out and unloaded yaupon. He waited in the shade until I was ready to go. Load up! And he jumped in the back seat. He came in with me for a break.

4094DC2A-94DB-4D58-8762-FA85A29622E7.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made 3 loads to the burn pile Saturday, walked 7 1/2 miles, dirty, Smokey and tired. Sunday morning I had a ewe with beech birth. I had to pull it. Lamb was dead, ewe exhausted but got right up, that was a good sign. I gave her a big dose of antibiotics. She didn’t get far from the pen, but she did get out and graze. When I fed yesterday evening, it started to rain. Dessa gave up trying to fight for a spot at the feed bunk, so I stood in the rain and fed her from the bucket. Had to fend off several ewes trying to get the bucket, but Dessa at least got something to eat. I’ll be closely monitoring her, she is weak, to be expected. Dessa is over 2 years old, this was her first lamb. She never would breed to my old ram, Ringo, but positively swooned over Cooper, a younger ram, when I brought him home from Tennessee in September 2022. A registered ewe, I was looking forward to her lamb. Oh well. I’ll get her past this, all healed up, and put her back with Cooper in May.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walked 5.5 miles yesterday. Got some clips on, stopped, hot and tired. I had to take a document to tax preparer in Livingston that I had been waiting on, when I got back, there were heifers in the field on Bennet’s side. I guess they got some more posts clipped. I got a text asking in I had a sack of concrete. Nope, but I passed the turnoff to go home and went to Lowe’s in Lufkin and got one. Took it to them, came home, fed, watered and dragged in the house at 8:10 PM.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peggy and I finished clipping the bottom wire yesterday. We used 3 bags of clips. In some places the wire is so tight, it takes both of us to get the bottom wire clipped. One to push, hold the wire, one to clip. We even got started on the top wires, but ran out of clips and called it good. It didn’t take long to draw a crowd. They got a whole lot closer, all up in our goings on!

37C797C2-FA3B-4EED-8E16-9EA64A611B22.jpeg

183284DE-B89B-40B2-B261-8C9756F9BFB4.jpeg

06EFDE32-0513-47FC-B54A-0D1FD25FB770.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since it rained all yesterday morning, I put together all the pieces for the shelf tower in the girls closet. It’s only 2’ wide, not a lot of room in the closet, but a little of something beats a whole lot of nothing.

Got to finish cutting and painting the pieces for the other closet.

15CDB112-D805-4D86-93FA-26E5B8980438.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to see that you aren't trying to keep those cows out with just sheep fence.

They would soon be leaning over the top without that barb wire.

Steve

Latest posts