Baymule's 2018 Garden

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is a good deal on t posts?
Why a driver? I feel like I need one after digging post holes. My arms get flimsy & wonky. Maybe a nice cold screwdriver in the shade. Then I really would need a driver.
Lol
T post driver - any style you prefer? Looks like work.

They can also shoot off chunks of metal and hurt you if driven with a sledge.

I've got a driver and a puller. So easy now, I use t-posts all the time in the garden. Cheaper too, since they are infinitely reusable.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The T-posts for the tomato trellis don't have to be that tall. I used to use 4' long ripped 2x4's (2x2's) but switched to T-posts when I found out how much easier they are. The initial price threw me off but since they are so re-usable it's an investment, not an expense. I tie the tops of my cow panels together with a piece of wood so the two sides act as a unit, makes them a lot stronger. Tying them together keeps the wind from blowing them over.

End View.JPG

I'd never heard of a T-post puller, now I know what I'm getting for Christmas. I'd always used a homemade one with a chain and an iron bar. I grew up where you dug fence posts by hand and used wooden posts. And you cut and trimmed those wooden posts with an ax. I'm late to learning about T-posts. Some of this newfangled stuff is really convenient.

One advantage of that gumbo muck is that you are not going to hit any rocks when driving T-posts. One disadvantage of that gumbo muck is that you can't find a rock to kill a poisonous snake. I lived on gumbo muck with some fill over it for over 30 years in South Louisiana. There is no sweet spot for digging a post hole. Either it is dry and like concrete or it's so sticky you are constantly trying to clean your digger. Think clay on steroids.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've got a T-post puller. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. Before that I used a chain and the front end loader on my tractor. LOVE my T-post puller! I use the same type driver as Ridge, it's home made and heavier than store bought.

IMG_1393.JPG

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Great. I'll add all this to my Christmas list and watch craigslist. Just hope it is closer than a long drive. Pawn shop has a t-post driver. I'll ask the price next trip. Then we need fencing...

Appreciate the help.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My T-post puller was $40 at Tractor Supply. We typically buy 7' T-posts, but right now need about 25 eight footers.

I turned chickens out in the garden this evening. They had about 1 1/2 hours to get acquainted with going in and out of their coop door. They are Easter Egger pullets, laying blue eggs. I want them to roto-till the garden. Each day I'll let them out a little earlier until they know where they are supposed to lay their eggs!

I cleaned out the other chicken coop. I have been deep littering it with bags of pine straw. I dug out 6 wagon loads and dumped on the garden, DH woke up from his nap and brought the tractor over and I filled up the bucket. Then he dumped it over the garden fence. Made 4 front end bucket loads. I dug the coop down to the dirt. I have more bags of pine straw to start filling the coop up again. LOL

We lit the burn pile this morning. We finally got enough rain that everything was good and wet, there was no wind, so we fired it up. It has been sitting since spring, it was the size of UPS delivery truck. LOL We've just kept adding to it, crunch it down with the tractor bucket and throw some more on it. I pulled more big weeds, vines and did more clean up. DH tended the fire, I dragged more up to it.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm. Burn pile. I lost 2 trees and one was well on its way, so had these 3 cut down. Instead of paying to haul the tops off, put them in a pile. If I had more space, just letting it sit would be great. Probably burn it in the spring. Neighbors love it when I put ash all over.

The leaves (what little that were left) will be composted in place. I did pile it all up near the new back garden. Should be collecting lizards come spring. We used to have a lot of lizards and toads. I think the black snake I killed when I moved the wood pile was eating well. The 3 1/2' black snake would have been welcome if the parrots weren't eating size. Too close and I thought it was a water moccasin at first. Oh, it stunk!

The rains this week has turned the yard into a swamp. Puddles everywhere. Should have some VERY green grass down hill (HA!) from the parrot barn. The gumbo muck will relevel itself now that it is fluid again.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@RUNuts, you could make a hugelculture bed with the tree tops. Do you have a chain saw? Cut them into lengths so they will lay flat. Scoop out a depression, lay the limbs in it and cover with compost. The limbs will hold water in the dry season, and the built up bed will keep your plants out of the mud when it is the rainy season. Over time, the limbs break down, adding nutrients and humus to your soil. Do you still have the tree trunks?

My female Great Pyrenees kills snakes. She shakes them so hard and fast, their heads pop off.

Fill the Parrot Barn with leaves, let those Parrots make your compost, dig out as needed. Refill with leaves.

Latest posts