Baymule's 2018 Garden

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, kept the whole tree. Used the trunks from the one earlier this year as the edging on a raised bed. Working great! Too deep. That was the one that heated up and cooked for 2 months. Planning on using the trunks as edging when I get it all figured out.

Hugelculture is a possibility. Since I'm flat, just pick a spot? I dumped the tree tops in a depression, but sounds like I need to go down a bit more.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, kept the whole tree. Used the trunks from the one earlier this year as the edging on a raised bed. Working great! Too deep. That was the one that heated up and cooked for 2 months. Planning on using the trunks as edging when I get it all figured out.

Hugelculture is a possibility. Since I'm flat, just pick a spot? I dumped the tree tops in a depression, but sounds like I need to go down a bit more.

Since the tops are already in a depression, just pile the compost on them and build a bed for your vegetables. Flat hugels, or slightly elevated hugel beds make more sense anyway. The tall mounds touted by permies.com are hard to keep the soil from sliding off, hard to weed and a general pain. Ask me how I know..... :lol: Use the trunks to make raised beds. Just roll them in place and TA-DA! Instant raised beds!

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bay I use to love watching the faces of my city friends when they saw the blue eggs. :lol::lol::lol: a few swore I was tring to trick them.
That almost makes me want easter eggers. Too funny.

I was asked if the brown ones were just dirty white ones. I explained that the white ones were selectively breed for because people thought white meant clean. They didn't believe me. LOL

I have learned so much!

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Since the tops are already in a depression, just pile the compost on them and build a bed for your vegetables. Flat hugels, or slightly elevated hugel beds make more sense anyway. The tall mounds touted by permies.com are hard to keep the soil from sliding off, hard to weed and a general pain. Ask me how I know..... :lol: Use the trunks to make raised beds. Just roll them in place and TA-DA! Instant raised beds!

I could do that. Branches, partially putrid parrot poo, more composted wood chunks from the dump. The pile is over 6' tall so I'd need to dice it up. I feel I need to know how the water flows. I also feel I need to cut a ditch across the yard for drainage if I fill in the depression. Or maybe the water will just flow through the hugel pile. Like a parrot through the fog. Like grass through a goose. I bet ducks would like the depression.

For Crazy Lady's front flower fount, I put branches and cardboard down as a base and dirt on top. Boxed raised bed turned out very nice. A lot of work, but the flower fount was fantastic. Then the basil took over. :celebrate I promise I will weed it! After it goes to seed again...

What is better? The garden soil mix or the mushroom compost from the garden center down the road? I was told the mushroom compost was still hot, but really didn't see any effect. They use the mushroom compost in the garden blend and basil did well. The bulbs she planted lived. Mixed results.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
That almost makes me want easter eggers. Too funny.

I was asked if the brown ones were just dirty white ones. I explained that the white ones were selectively breed for because people thought white meant clean. They didn't believe me. LOL

I have learned so much!
I had a few Americans they lay the bluest eggs

Latest posts