Baymule's 3rd Lambing!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you put anything on to numb it?

Mary
No, a very sharp knife to cut the bottom of the sack off, then I reach in, grab a testicle and yank it out. I generally cut them at a few weeks old, as they get older, the testicle cords get thicker and stronger and it requires more scraping or cutting to relieve the ram lamb of his family jewels. At a few weeks old, he bleats, it's over quickly, I gently set him down and he runs to Mom, suckles and gets comfort. Older ram lambs, I feel sorry for, they are sore for days, sometimes walk spraddle legged and take longer to heal.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, a very sharp knife to cut the bottom of the sack off, then I reach in, grab a testicle and yank it out. I generally cut them at a few weeks old, as they get older, the testicle cords get thicker and stronger and it requires more scraping or cutting to relieve the ram lamb of his family jewels. At a few weeks old, he bleats, it's over quickly, I gently set him down and he runs to Mom, suckles and gets comfort. Older ram lambs, I feel sorry for, they are sore for days, sometimes walk spraddle legged and take longer to heal.
I almost fainted and I worked for vet who did dogs and cats but they where asleep

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
:ep TMI

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You needed a spoiler alert on this for the squeamish ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used an iodine spray later but nothing in the oldest of the old days. The ability to do some draining is important.

I had the holding job for the calves. After they were on the ground and the rope tightened to a post, I'd catch their feet with a short rope, put one foot across their rear end, hold on to the tail and sit myself down in the dirt.

Have you wondered about the names and uses for the blades on your pocket knife? The thin rounded one is for castrating. ... the heavier, flat blade is called the sheepfoot blade.

Steve

Latest posts