Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cooking Wilbur. Making pulled pork out of ham cross sections, that’s almost 18 pounds. Party tomorrow!

That’s my redneck BBQ pit made from a water heater tank. I love it, it really rolls the smoke!

f4a23a62-5486-47ff-9185-6459e1d5806f-jpeg.55367

02578cac-7e53-4dd4-8f0a-6ecc66086230-jpeg.55368

70642bbd-bd2f-49a6-9093-93334203b468-jpeg.55369

Just look at those fresh ham slices! Wilbur was literally one BIG A$$ HOG! Neighborhood party tomorrow at one of the neighbors house. Last year it was here at our house. Making eggnog too!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are probably no cost savings for me to butcher my chickens, OR butcher the roosters that I buy locally. When you care for the animal that you eat you KNOW how they are raised, that is, that the turnout isn't full of manure, and you KNOW what THEY are eating.
I have become obssessive about daily changing out my chicken's water bc they walk through it and I eat that water when I eat their eggs. I buy high quality complete feed, provide a bowl for grit and calcium and feed back egg shells. I also know the treats they get, which is mostly grass, weeds, bugs and tomatoes during the growing season, stale bread, apple and other fruit cores during the winter, even the used orange and lemon slices from Sangria, which they LOVE, though I have never seen them stagger.
Arguably commercial chicken growers feed the cheapest feed that they can. Just BC for example, my mare will reach over her stall and chew on a container of pine shavings doesn't mean that I would EVER feed her that! Just BC a chicken COULD survive on sawdust, doesn't mean that there is any real nutrition in it and sometimes processed wood is fed to the chickens that we buy in the store.
Similarly, many pigs are housed in a cement cage 24/7, much like you keeping your dog in a crate all of the time. Baymule's pigs get to be outside and roam. Even if the turnout is small a pig with turnout and fresh air works their muscles and it is better meat. Also, pigs like to graze on grass and THAT makes the pig and the meat healthier.
That is why you raise your own meat.
Lets add to the mix that lab grown meat was just quietly approved by the FDA. I bet they do not have to label it. And likely we have already been eating it for years without approval.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lab grown meat ? Take some soy beans , roll them, smash them , play around with them ... walah ... fake meat :ep with no real meat flavor unless one was to add some bacon grease. Even then , to me, it still tastes artificial! :th Where is the beef ? :duc

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lets add to the mix that lab grown meat was just quietly approved by the FDA. I bet they do not have to label it. And likely we have already been eating it for years without approval.

Cat, could you please provide a link to that FDA approval? I can't find it. The latest I found is that the FDA and USDA have agreed on which agency is going to regulate which parts of the process. Supposedly the FDA will regulate the early parts of that process and the USDA will regulate the later parts, like labeling. They haven't even determined what they are going to call it, the meat industries are lobbying to keep it from being called meat. With the current Republican administrations views on regulation you have to wonder how they will handle this.

I've seen some articles where they say it could be made available to the public by the end of this year but I think that was a UK article. The one I know was from the US (Memphis) said maybe 2021. The truth is probably somewhere in between. From what I read the costs are still prohibitive but are rapidly dropping.

The basic idea is that they take a stem cell from an animal and grow it in a culture. The culture itself is safe to eat and you can grow a hug amount of product (I refuse to call it meat, hopefully the USDA will agree) from one cell. The process supposedly uses a lot less energy and is a lot more environmental friendly than raising meat animals. Hopefully it will taste better than tofu.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
https://returntonow.net/2018/11/30/...nirfwVf7LBJkVrlzBP2li57OhPe07_093wb61gyRSJTcw I understand the basic scientific concept. Safe is in the eye of big corporations. Regulation is the key of course. Profit will be the regulator. I do see the ecological merit.But as with any business venture we are just the guinea pigs and any health issues will be buried for 50 years. It seems intensely gross to me. I do have visions of the Start Trek simulators from the old shows.

Latest posts