Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah! A neighbor got one in a trap and offered her to me. I told him I had plenty of pork, shoot her and bring her to me. He doesn't know how to do the "survival" stuff. he actually called another neighbor to come shoot her. LOL LOL He brought me a dead pig, a nice little red one, which told me she was at least half domestic, she was about 60 pounds. I skinned, gutted and quartered her, dropped the pieces in a bag and sent him home. he and his wife are both on disability, poor health and just poor. That meat went to good use.
Good job. Hopefully they watched as they can have a lot of free meat. They no longer have a restricted hunting season correct? If I was closer, I’d bring a couple friends and we’d thin some out.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Open season on hogs. You can even shoot them from a helicopter, I think that's about a $3,000 hunting trip. If you could come up with a way to gather a couple hundred together and dynamite them all, you'd be hailed as a hero!

That same guy brought me a road kill deer last year. He just doesn't know how to do this sort of thing and I don't mind helping.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm leery of roadkill deer if they have a lot of internal damage, but if the condition is ok that is good/free meat. well, maybe not if the car repairs run thousands... glad you feel ok helping them like that.

with something like roadkill at least you know if you are doing it the first time if you mess up then you're not wasting something you've hunted and paid a license for.

why am i having visions of Young Frankenstien here? :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Open season on hogs. You can even shoot them from a helicopter, I think that's about a $3,000 hunting trip. If you could come up with a way to gather a couple hundred together and dynamite them all, you'd be hailed as a hero!

That same guy brought me a road kill deer last year. He just doesn't know how to do this sort of thing and I don't mind helping.
We’d just load up the Rangers and shoot them. I need no stinkin helicopter ride.... plus my friends might push me out to see IF I can fly.......

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm leery of roadkill deer if they have a lot of internal damage, but if the condition is ok that is good/free meat. well, maybe not if the car repairs run thousands... glad you feel ok helping them like that.

with something like roadkill at least you know if you are doing it the first time if you mess up then you're not wasting something you've hunted and paid a license for.

why am i having visions of Young Frankenstien here? :)
Assume we are talking fresh killed, not found layin on road dead.....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
they are open season here too, if on private land, shoot 'em all you want. report them to the DNR so they know where. if on public land anyone with a valid hunting license of any kind can shoot as many as they want. the state still wants you to let them know where you find them so they can be aware of how many are out there.

also they used to have a program where they would release satellite collared animals and track them because they are social animals so once that animal had been out in the wild for a while there was a good chance it would be with a herd. then they'd go in and hunt them and then re-release the collared animal. i don't know if they are still doing this, but it is a great tactic to get them before they are more of a problem.

Michigan doesn't have a huge population yet so if people will hunt them aggressively they can make a lot of difference before they get even worse.

i've not seen any around here yet, but they've had at least one hunted within a few miles of here. eek! over 300lbs animal to contend with would be quite a mess.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This was a deer that a girl hit, the deer’s legs were broke. She went home, got her dad and he mercy shot the deer. Neighbor came along about that time and they gave the deer to him. He immediately brought deer to me. Still warm. None of the meat was damaged, he tried to give us half, we refused. I sent the meat home in our big ice chest after scrubbing it and washing it out with Clorox. I react to the chemicals but when it comes to meat, I Clorox everything it touches.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Assume we are talking fresh killed, not found layin on road dead.....

and yet, we hang beef to age it... i'm sure some of those deer along the road that have plumped up are plenty well aged too... but nobody gets them for a while. we do have the turkey vultures, coyotes, crows, raccoons, etc that will scavenge from deer along with the bald eagles. i think it is a better thing to do to leave them to rot and be eaten instead of having to haul them away to the landfills. we sure do have a lot of turkey vultures around so perhaps that is really helping them out.

Latest posts