be, being, been, is, was, were, am, are

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I say we blame it on the Latin influence. Germanic languages are much more clear cut, but Spanish and Italian, for instance add in extra words that are specific, but probably don't matter today as much as they did in centuries past.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dialects in Britain influenced the choices.

How that occurred rather than some strict constructionist tendencies might have to do with some kind of Renaissance enthusiasm for inclusion.

That early amalgamation of the language with printing may have been part of a hope to draw people together, accepting a new technology. Translations of texts into vernacular English was being advocated for in the 14th century. Of course, that sort of thing got some reformers executed by clergy and states! Still, Tynsdale and King James came along in time, although, on separate paths ;). The latter might have been partly responsible for what has come down to us as the queen's English ... whatever the deuce that is.

;) Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dialects in Britain influenced the choices.

How that occurred rather than some strict constructionist tendencies might have to do with some kind of Renaissance enthusiasm for inclusion.

That early amalgamation of the language with printing may have been part of a hope to draw people together, accepting a new technology. Translations of texts into vernacular English was being advocated for in the 14th century. Of course, that sort of thing got some reformers executed by clergy and states! Still, Tynsdale and King James came along in time, although, on separate paths ;). The latter might have been partly responsible for what has come down to us as the queen's English ... whatever the deuce that is.

;) Steve

there was Wyclyff (or some similar spelling)...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

I had 3+ years of German. That's a counting cheat. I had to take the first year twice, between high school and college. The second year was German "in translation." I'm not sure why they let us read German literature in English but I loved it! The + is because I took an elective directed study on Goethe's Faust.

Imagine, if you will, a kid with hearing loss in a foreign language class :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

I had 3+ years of German. That's a counting cheat. I had to take the first year twice, between high school and college. The second year was German "in translation." I'm not sure why they let us read German literature in English but I loved it! The + is because I took an elective directed study on Goethe's Faust.

Imagine, if you will, a kid with hearing loss in a foreign language class :).

Steve

it was a very viceral language to me - so imagine you felt it well enough in your guts to get by. :) ich bin crank and a few other things are all i remember now aside from the horror of trying to fit yet another brute memorization task into my schedule. i learned a lot of computer languages at that time so adding a whole 'nother pile in there just didn't work for me poor pea brain.

Latest posts