Beans, how long can I store them before canning

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have picked a nice bag full of Dragon Tongue beans this week. I would like to wait a couple of days and pick again before canning. How long can I hold the beans in the refridgerator until I have a nice full batch to can? I do use a pressure canner, but I also pickle some with a brine I make and water bath.

I usually keep my beans in a grocery plastic bag tied up in the crisper drawer of my fridge. This way they do not go limp and wrinkly.

P.S. I've never preserved Dragon Tongue beans, only half runner green beans. I assume they taste similar. beans2.jpg beans3.jpg

Thanks, Melissa

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do that too sometimes and as long as they're in a plastic bag they'll keep about a week. If they look darkened or waterlogged, they're no longer fresh enough to bother canning. Day of picking makes for best quality, but you can get away with about a week.

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, I need to pick again tomorrow. Should be plenty to can on Saturday. So total they would have been in the fridge for 4 days. I'm good!

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I canned 6 pints Saturday, then had to pick again on Sunday. I need to can again today. I just love this time of year. I also had several little cucumbers to use, so I decided to try a small batch of pickles again. I hope this recipe is better than the last 6 I've tried. I've had to feed a lot of pickles to the chickens in the past years. At least now I only make a few jars.

beans 4.jpg pickles.jpg