beav's 2011 winter garden (pics)

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My goal was to produce 1,000 lbs of produce this year and so far I am over 1,150 lbs for the year and counting!

Here are some pictures I took this morning from the farm:

Broccoli, Cabbage, Swiss Chard, Mesclun Mix
P1010841.jpg

Mesclun Mix
P1010842.jpg

Swiss Chard, Broccoli
P1010843.jpg

Peppers and Collard Greens
P1010844.jpg

Tomatoes in November
P1010845.jpg

Beets and Swiss Chard
P1010846.jpg

One of many apple trees
P1010849.jpg

The Citrus grove
P1010850.jpg

Additional raised beds currently not planted
P1010847.jpg

And more not planted with crops
P1010848.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
How utterly wonderful!!! Everything looks fabulous! You are one lucky gardener to be in California- all my beds are going to be planted with the same awful white stuff, any day now....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beavis..these +1,000lbs..is this just enough to feed your family or is there extra to give/sell? How large is your lot? If you have so many empty beds, do you perhaps have to many? Just some questions I have. Everything looks so healthy. One more question, how much time does a garden this large take? It's really hard for me to visualize this when my garden is perhaps only about 100sq. ft.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's a great looking garden Beav'! I didn't see Sven, I hope he didn't abandon his post, maybe he just dozed off and fell out of his chair?

Is that your hoop house I see in the background? I suppose in Ramona you could have tomatoes and peppers year round in there. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW, love all those raised beds. Makes tending produce so much easier. We are experiancing some warmer than usual Nov. temps. I am sure that will not last long enough. Winter is just around the corner here in the midwest.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Beavis..these +1,000lbs..is this just enough to feed your family or is there extra to give/sell? How large is your lot? If you have so many empty beds, do you perhaps have to many? Just some questions I have. Everything looks so healthy. One more question, how much time does a garden this large take? It's really hard for me to visualize this when my garden is perhaps only about 100sq. ft.

Mary
Ninny,

I gave away a lot of produce to friends and family as well. Plus, I did a lot of canning of tomatoes this years since I had over 300 lbs of tomatoes alone! I have 1.5 acres on my property. Most of the beds that law fallow right now will be filled with summer crops that take up more space like melons, tomatoes, etc.

How much time? I guess if I averaged it out, maybe a half an hour per day.

Now that the raised beds are all built and irrigated its just a matter of planting and harvesting.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
It's a great looking garden Beav'! I didn't see Sven, I hope he didn't abandon his post, maybe he just dozed off and fell out of his chair?

Is that your hoop house I see in the background? I suppose in Ramona you could have tomatoes and peppers year round in there. :)
Sven is still here, in fact I gave him a new paint job yesterday. NOt too pleased with the lips though...lol!

p1010851.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Ha!

The only ridiculous thing out there, Beav.

Unless we count that ridiculously beautiful and productive garden!

Steve

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You're way ahead of me. The only things I have ready for harvest are kailaan, beets and carrots. My peas are starting to show blossoms though so I should have a few sugar snaps soon.

Latest posts