Bee Balm

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
From "The Book of Herbal Teas" by Sara Perry:

Use 3 teaspoons of fresh leaves or flowers, or 1 teaspoon dried, to 1 cup (8 ounces) of freshly boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes or to taste.

Apparently the popular Earl Grey tea is regular black tea with some bee balm (also called bergamot) added.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting what "The Book of Herbal Teas" says about bergamot in Earl Grey tea, Tinychicken.

My understanding was that the flavoring in Earl Grey is derived from bergamot orange peel. Wikipedia (click) There is a "Wild Bergamot" that is related to the bee balms. Tea supposedly can be made from its flowers. I say supposedly because I grew plants for 2 years and they never flowered :/.

Nyboy, try any herb that can be used for tea both fresh and dried. Often, the flavor is quite different.

When I first tasted catnip, it was fresh. My reaction was, "This is okay but it really has a ggrreeenn flavor!" I like catnip much better if it has hung in the kitchen and dried first.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do tell, Steve- how do use the catnip?? To say I have some, is a grave understatement!!

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Interesting what "The Book of Herbal Teas" says about bergamot in Earl Grey tea, Tinychicken.

My understanding was that the flavoring in Earl Grey is derived from bergamot orange peel. Wikipedia (click) There is a "Wild Bergamot" that is related to the bee balms. Tea supposedly can be made from its flowers. I say supposedly because I grew plants for 2 years and they never flowered :/.

Nyboy, try any herb that can be used for tea both fresh and dried. Often, the flavor is quite different.

When I first tasted catnip, it was fresh. My reaction was, "This is okay but it really has a ggrreeenn flavor!" I like catnip much better if it has hung in the kitchen and dried first.

Steve
Steve, I hope you didnt act like my cats do when I give it to them!:weee

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perks me right up!

I tried stuffing a cup full of fresh leaves and pouring boiling water over it. Really, it's more my cup of tea if it is bunched, hangs in the kitchen for a week, and the leaves are pulled off the stems to go in a tea ball.

Catnip is only a little minty that way and not quite so pungent. I'm not the greatest fan of mint teas altho' I like a little mint with other herbs - like spearmint with chamomile.

Steve :)

Latest posts