Bee Swarm!

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We have a hive of honey bees who live in a old building, we don't bother them they don't bother us and they pollinate the trees and my gardens but about once or twice a summer we get a swarm. If they stick around for a while we normal give them away to someone who wants bees. But this years swam was to high up in the tree so they where left alone. Here are some pictures:
The swarm at night:
6981_2010_bee_swam_007.jpg

and flying away:
6981_2010_bee_swam_008.jpg

Edited to add last years swarm, which was given away to a family friend:
6981_2009_bee_swam_004.jpg

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cool!

I've been watching nervously for mine to swarm. :hide

I don't want them to get away while I'm not home to catch them! Next year I'm going to learn how to do splits.

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I want one of those swarms!
If you were closer you could have the next one. :) :bee
I've been watching nervously for mine to swarm. :hide
When they swarm they are pretty non-aggressive, the people who have gotten some of the swarms just shake them in to a garbage bag to take home. And no stings yet!

I don't want them to get away while I'm not home to catch them!
Ours seem to sit on a close or semi close tree for about a day before they leave.
:bee

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many years have your feral bees been around? They must be a very hardy strain! I think that's awesome that you just let them do their thing. You don't see so many feral colonies anymore w/ CCD. We had one on my dad's farm, living between the 2 doors of the old root cellar and since we didn't use it, we just let them "bee". That was several years ago before I kept bees. They only stayed one year then died out over the winter. They would have been easy to collect--I wish I'd known more about them at the time!

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
How many years have your feral bees been around? They must be a very hardy strain! I think that's awesome that you just let them do their thing. You don't see so many feral colonies anymore w/ CCD. We had one on my dad's farm, living between the 2 doors of the old root cellar and since we didn't use it, we just let them "bee". That was several years ago before I kept bees. They only stayed one year then died out over the winter. They would have been easy to collect--I wish I'd known more about them at the time!
Me and my sister just did some quick math (and I'll check with my mom she might know a close time) But they have been here about 9 years. Maybe a couple more.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would get a hive in place for next year!! Beekeeping is the coolest thing! I joined a local beekeeping club. They are very helpful and would gladly help you round up your next swarm. Having honey that bees make from your flowers is incredible. I have never tasted sweeter honey. We are novice beekeepers and have yet to be stung. The bees are very forgiving of our stupidity!

Latest posts