Beebalm?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I started a new perennial garden last summer. Planted a bunch of different things in there- it looked great. Spring comes and almost the entire area is covered with something. It looks like some kind of daisy. You know how they grow in the spring-kind of a flat crown of leaves? I did have some daisy's in the garden, but not 10,000 of them!! It is growing a lot in the area where I planted beebalm. Now I am wondering, does that spread a lot? Could I now have a garden full of beebalm? Sorry, my daughter has my camera and I don't know how to post pics....Thanks!

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If you let it go to seed in the fall it is quite possible it is your beebalm gone crazy...I have that problem with violets...treat them as weeds and pull and this year dead head the flowers...

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My beebalm spread like crazy this year also. However, I am very happy it did. I put it on the edge of a wooded area with hopes it'd spread as it's known to do.
I say- dig them carefully and sale them on Craig'slist. People pay for them, sometime alot.
OR-just give to friends/family
OR-even better, send them to me...hehehe

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
. . . It looks like some kind of daisy. . . Could I now have a garden full of beebalm? . . .
Of course, a photo would be helpful.
Beebalm is NOT a daisy. But, are you saying that it is blooming, or not yet :idunno ?

Beebalm does happily self-sow.

Steve

Debby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Bee balm is a mint and has the typical square stem. It's leaves are pointed, hairy and serrated. It is also stonleniforous and will virorously spread via runners. Here is a picture of some I put in last year. At about 3 o'clock in the picture you can see the dead stalks from last year. Note how far it spread this year.

6233_img_0939.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of daisy you are talking about, but Shasta Daisies are one perennial daisy. Here is what it looks like.

6233_img_0938.jpg

Debby

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a lot of self sowers from last year I'm trying to get under control. Most of my front walk has about 100 little yellow and purple cone flowers poking up. I'm trying to move those OUT of there though... I just didn't dead head enough I guess.

I would like to see a pic of your daisies if thats what is blooming.... I have shasta daisy and I know they are perennial. I didn't think they spread like that though.

Beebalm I thought was considered an herb, and I not so sure about that.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in NY state, so nothing is blooming yet! I guess maybe it is daisies, after all. I knew they would spread, but wow! I started relocating them yesterday! Nature certainly is amazing! I'm going to try to figure out the picture thing....

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Bee Balm (Monarda) spreads like crazy in my garden. I rip it up and throw it away every spring and it comes back bigger and stronger.

Good luck! It took over 3/4 of my flower garden last year. And it grows 4 feet tall. It was like a jungle!

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My bee balm went crazy too, but I liked it! Good luck!

Nyappy Garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Our bee balm spread a lot last year and it spread even more this year. I transplanted some, and dug some up and potted, it I am going to see if I can sell it :D

Latest posts