Beekeeper

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to forum :frow.

I was just thinking this week that the wild carrot weed around my garden amounts to my contribution to the honey bees. At one time, I weedwhacked it . Now, I just mow a couple of passes with the mower and leave the Daucus carota beyond.

The knapweed doesn't get saved. There is plenty of it here and the bees make good use of it. A beekeeper I once knew said that some rain when the knapweed is blooming makes for a bonanza for his bees. It is, however, a very coarse and troublesome weed.

The bees like fennel real well but it's the yellow jackets that take over. Their need for nectar must overpower their desire to kill other insects to feed the young when the fennel blooms.

In my flower garden, the bees just won't leave the globe thistle alone. Carrying a few stems out of the garden nearly always means that I'm carrying out some very lazy honey bees, probably almost full up on nectar ;).

Anise hyssop is loved by the bees. They seem to like all the mints but that one must have special allure.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome, glad you joined. Do tell us more about your beekeeping activities. I love the idea of keeping bees. Luckily I have plenty of bees in the garden and we don't use much honey. It's cheaper to buy it local than to have bees.

Mary

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi There! :frow I so love bees! I try to plant for the honeys. Although I have never had a hive of mine own I have "beesat" for friends. @BlackgrdenerNJ, can't wait to hear more buzz talk!

Latest posts