Beekeepers Suggest Pesticide is Destroying Insect Colonies

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where are you planning on getting clover seed, Jim? I would like to try it in the aisles of my garden...We've had bees for 2 years as well, and no stings. What we imagine about bees and the reality of them, is really quite different! I love my bees!

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There's a farm supply store chain here in NC called Southern States Co-Op that sells it. They can get it in 50 lb bags or if you need less you can buy it by the pound from bins in the store. I believe the fellow told me I could also get it in a 25 lb bag as well. As I recall he said I'd only need about 10 lbs for an acre.

I know a lot of people have a fear of bees. When I was a kid I'd go all summer long with my feet swollen by bee stings because we just didn't wear shoes out in the yard back then. Then the only thing on our fear scale higher than a bee was a snake but today I'd never kill either one because I realize now how really beautiful they both are and how we need them both for a healthy environment. We have black rat snakes here and I've caught them up on the porch trying to raid bird nests. I always take them over to the woods that line my property and let 'em go because when the black snakes came in several years ago they pushed the copperheads out.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Lady, had to read the article, since my computer is not up-to-date enough to "listen" to... Being informed is great. Knowledge is power. That being said I don't plan on getting into a tizzy about this- I can only control my own little world, and I cast my vote at election time. IMO, we are all in a hand basket, thanks to our government and it's short sighted point of view- and I know where we are heading...
Check your computer for a small port that shows earphones. You can buy very cheap (maybe $20.00 or less) speakers at any store and just plug them in. You do not have to just sit at the computer to listen. You can listen and be doing other things. I find this very convenient. :cool:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
Where are you planning on getting clover seed, Jim? I would like to try it in the aisles of my garden...We've had bees for 2 years as well, and no stings. What we imagine about bees and the reality of them, is really quite different! I love my bees!
Try deerseeds.com They have some very interesting seed at good prices. I had great results from their mixed chicory and red clover seed on a poor spot in my garden. I expect a lot of improvement when I dig it under this Spring.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I overseeded part of my lawn with white dutch clover. It got thick enough that I could throw handfuls to the ducks and quail. I got a bag of seeds off ebay.

Latest posts