Beet leaves with no beets!

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey folks, lets not go bashing the seed company without cause. Bakers Creek has a very good reputation and until now I have experienced about 99% seed viability. I have been very satisfied with all I have purchased before. :)

Sounds like maybe I had too much nitrogen. Thanks for the input.

Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles said:
catjac1975 said:
I had the same problem with beets until I added greensand to my soil. Root crops seemed to like this ammendment.
What is greensand?
It is an amendment with trace elements. It is good for tired garden soil. It is actually green sand. I used to order it online. Noe I can find it locally.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am having kind of the opposite problem, as I am more interested in the tops than the beets. I did notice today that the plants getting more intense light have larger bulbs than the plants that are shaded. It works out OK though, as my wife likes the beets, and I love the tops. I wonder if a long spell of cloudy weather, or shading the plants, could be the problem. :rolleyes:

Jack B

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
As it appears I will only have tops and not bulbs to munch on (though I HATE beets) does anyone have a good recipe on how I should try the tops. I'd hate to toss them to the chickens!?

I sure wasn't bashing BAker's Creek... it was just a random though since we were both in the same boat. I do get a LOT of seeds from them, and everything else I have is doing amazingly!

This is my first time growing beets, so chances are I screwed up somewhere. Though I did not add any other amendments to this bed other then compost over the winter and it's stayed nice and loose. It may be the fact it doesn't get sun there until after 10am, but then gets sun all day?! I do want to note the Bull's Blood beets are supposed to be harvested when the bulbs are less then 2 inch diameters so that they are at their sweetest. They don't get very big to start with. Mine are very skinny, and the greens (which are also red) are very full.... except for a few runts.

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
jackb said:
I am having kind of the opposite problem, as I am more interested in the tops than the beets. I did notice today that the plants getting more intense light have larger bulbs than the plants that are shaded. It works out OK though, as my wife likes the beets, and I love the tops. I wonder if a long spell of cloudy weather, or shading the plants, could be the problem. :rolleyes:

Jack B

[url]http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/beetssmall_zpsf3296a1f.jpg[/url]
AWESOME looking plants, Jack! :drool

I ditched mine......needed the space for next crop. Last year I did everything the same and was done harvesting and canning them by this time. Grrrrr!

Latest posts