Beets...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awww......MontyJ, that's true love. :love How sweet for you to grow the beets and put them up for Dew, especially when you don't like them. Now what about those sweet pickles??? :lol:

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Awww......MontyJ, that's true love. :love How sweet for you to grow the beets and put them up for Dew, especially when you don't like them. Now what about those sweet pickles??? :lol:
Still waiting on the cuckes!!!! :( I havent been out to check on them in a few days. Probably by the weekend when we are doing beans :/

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'll make her some sweet pickles, but she has to help. I have some tiny cukes coming on now, so maybe in a week or so.

Southern, I don't have any secrets for beets. I just plant the seeds, keep them weeded and watered and they grow. The garden those were grown in has below average soil as far as I'm concerned. It does seem to produce small root crops very well though. My onions are doing great, as did the beets. The turnips are getting processed and frozen tomorrow. I don't know how well the carrots are doing, but the tops look great.

Cat, there are a few small ones still in the garden. Next time I light the grill, I'll try roasting a couple.

meatburner

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Wooo MontyJ, I did the same thing today with the beets. I only pulled enough for 4 pints but filled the water bath with some pickled peppers at the same time. Have a great weekend!!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are a cool weather crop. I could not form a beet until I added green sand to my garden.
Southern Gardener said:
Holy cow! those are beautiful! I can't seem to grow them for some reason. I've tried twice and failed. Any secrets?

StonyGarden

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mother-in-law just went to 3 different farmer's markets in the area looking for beets. They all said the same thing: it's just too wet. She managed to get 15 lbs (greens included) but they were all small. We had planted beets in the big garden but they were small as well. She's going to make pickled beets with them anyways. The small ones she's just going to pickle whole.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
They are a cool weather crop. I could not form a beet until I added green sand to my garden.
Southern Gardener said:
Holy cow! those are beautiful! I can't seem to grow them for some reason. I've tried twice and failed. Any secrets?
Cat, the fall is when I planted the beets since our springs are way too short. I think I'll try them again in my raised beds. Where do you purchase green sand?