1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Rugosa Rose problems and questions - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Beez pleezz

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by Trish Stretton, May 7, 2019.

1. May 18, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    @Trish Stretton
    NOT sad to have removed the bees from DD's house!! They were a healthy hive and a BEEKEEPER took them to his place, so they weren't sprayed and killed. The bees had NO BUSINESS in a closet wall.
    There was a story with pictures floating around on the INET about somebody finding a hive in their grill and under the cover. (Wonder how long it was since they had grilled?!?!?) The grill owner sprayed with Raid and demolished the entire hive. THAT was a tragedy. I am sure that SOME beekeeper would have replaced their grill with a new one and taken the "Bee Hive Grill" back home.
    Good luck and don't get stung!

Carol Dee likes this.
  2. May 18, 2019
    so lucky

so lucky Garden Master

@flowerbug speaking of honey bees in his yard; I don't think I have seen a single honeybee in the yard this year. (we have white clover mixed in with grass) I have seen two, maybe three bumble bees that died on my deck. Got me to wondering if the pots of flowers I have on the deck have been sprayed with some poison before I purchased them. Or if they have systemic insecticides in them. There are a few bee-type insects on them occasionally, but not as much as I expected.
    I can't blame the farmer/neighbor this year (yet) as he hasn't done anything to the field behind our property. Still huge logs (about 4' diameter) invading the edge, so I guess he's waiting for word from my DH as to what to do with the logs. They are too big to cut with anyone's chain saw. May have to dynamite them. Not joking.
    But I digress. The lack of honeybees is starting to alarm me. But I am easily alarmed these days, sadly.

flowerbug likes this.
  3. May 18, 2019
    PhilaGardener

PhilaGardener Deeply Rooted

flowerbug and Carol Dee like this.
  4. May 18, 2019
    ducks4you

ducks4you Garden Master

East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
    @flowerbug, I have seen several honeybees and several of those huge honeybees, too. I wonder if the severe rains have anything to do with it?

flowerbug likes this.
  5. May 19, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

lack of sunshine which means fewer flowers will have some impact on the bees and other pollinators too.

hummingbirds finally showed up here a few days ago.

i'm glad to see we had a large bumblebee around yesterday.

i've not seen any huge honey bees that i can ever recall.

ducks4you likes this.
  6. May 19, 2019
    Trish Stretton

Trish Stretton Garden Ornament

I have heard about that Australian bee but dont know very much about it. As far as I know, they make small nests. Looks like a bit of fun, but I would not be allowed to import them.

Ridgerunner and flowerbug like this.
  7. Jun 7, 2019
    Trish Stretton

Trish Stretton Garden Ornament

Its been quite a warm winter so far and the bees are still have at least one drone in the hive that I could see through the window. I thought they would have kicked them all out but no, there was one happy chappy.

I'm still doing my Oxalic Acid Vapourising every other week and am still only getting a very low mite drop. Todays 24 hour count was ....4.
    I was doing every week, but last week it rained when I was supposed to do the next one and I decided to see how things would go doing it fortnightly.

A company down the road from me has a large Camellia hedge that has been in flower for ages now and still going. I stand by the hive and see a steady stream to and from that direction all day. When I did a search on this plant, its said to be a good quality forage for bees.

I got tired of wax in my morning coffee so, this week bought a nifty de-capping tool that was on special and am on the look out for a hand cranked extractor that can handle both normal deep frames as well as the jumbo deep frames.
    The next hive I start up next spring will have deeper frames. I might be out of luck with an extractor that will handle both, but you never know.

thistlebloom, flowerbug and Carol Dee like this.
  8. Jun 7, 2019
    Carol Dee

Carol Dee Garden Master

Good luck

flowerbug likes this.