Beez pleezz

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lol!!
I think Bumble bee stings are Much worse than bee stings.
last year when my dog yawned, I could see this hole in the middle of his tongue. That is most definitely not caused by a honey bee sting. Thankfully, he has learnt to leave all flying insects alone and even does a double take at flies that land on him before he twitches or snaps at them.

The mead stopped bubbling. so after sitting and thinking about it, I decided that maybe the yeast I added was too old. It was the last bit in the bottom of the jar, so I added some more after also adding some more warmed up honey with a bit of water to make it syrupy.. the yeast sprinkled on top.
Bingo, it started working again.

It probably didnt help that it is still winter here and y kitchen is on the cool side. Putting by the firebox probably helped too.

I need to charge up my camera again, seems to go flat at just the wrong time.

At the moment its in one of my moms 4 liter Kombucha jugs with cling wrap sort of over the top to stop anything falling in. No airlocks etc...pretty basic, so I need to go shopping soon so I have a food grade tube to use to rack off the yummy stuff into another jug and then have an airlock to seal it for the final run towards bottling.
Just another cool learning curve, with a tasty treat at the end of it, all going well.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, i think bumblebee are more painful than honeybee stings too. also they can sting more than once.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've never been stung by a bumblebee. I sometimes even pet them with my fingertip.

Yellowjackets on the other hand like to sting

i grabbed one by mistake once when harvesting cosmo seeds. it got me twice in the palm of my hand but i didn't kill it. i was just very startled and surprised and of course hurting like heck.

when i'm out in the gardens i've never had troubles with them since and i still have no fear of them.

my brush last week with an angry bee did make me a bit afraid but because i had a lot to do in the gardens and didn't want the bees mad at me no matter where i went. things have returned to normal this week, no bees have been hovering or buzzing me.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My experience with bumblebees is that if you leave them alone they leave you alone. I've been stung a few times, mostly as a kid. That was usually when I was messing around their nests. They typically built their nests in the ground and I might be mowing over it or just doing something in that area. They do hurt.

I was a cruel kid. We had an apple tree in our back yard. We had several others in an orchard but this one was right in out back yard where we played a lot. Great cooking apples. Yellow jackets would hang around the rotten apples that fell off. When I as around 11 or 12 I'd coat my hands with dust when it was dry and toss a handful of dry dirt on the yellow jackets on a rotten apple. I could pick them up without getting stung, mostly showing off to my younger siblings.

Latest posts