Beginner's question...

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When something says "Hardiness: Zone x---y" what does that mean exactly?

I'm in what I've determined to be 8a.
And I want to try some "foxtail ferns", preferably outside eventually.

The internet says:
Hardiness: USDA Zones 9-11

Does that mean it will not die over the winter as far north as these zones?
Or that it only grows well in zones 9 through 11?

Or what on earth does it mean?

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
AmyRey said:
When something says "Hardiness: Zone x---y" what does that mean exactly?

I'm in what I've determined to be 8a.
And I want to try some "foxtail ferns", preferably outside eventually.

The internet says:
Hardiness: USDA Zones 9-11

Does that mean it will not die over the winter as far north as these zones?
Or that it only grows well in zones 9 through 11?

Or what on earth does it mean?
It means it will be hardy in the zones mentioned.
In your zone the average low temps drop lower then zone 9.
This plant will be fine all year but on some nights it will need to come inside or be protected.

I hope that explains it.

Joe

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
As to the foxtail ferns (since i'm not sure how much further north you are than i am) i know of a place that has those in the landscaping year round, and they do great. Really beautiful.

I'm USDA zone 8/9, Texas, zone 8. The whole zone thing confuses me a little, but i usually follow zone 8 schedules.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it's a mistake to get too hung up on zone ratings, for nonwoody things anyhow. (Woody things you probably wanna be more conservative with, for a whole variety of reasons).

Zones do not capture everything a plant cares about; and a map does not capture everything there is to know about zones. Most everybody has some places on their property that are considerably colder or warmer than their Official Zone; some peoples' whole *properties* are a zone warmer or colder than a map would indicate.

Once you know your property and have calibrated it with the way other plants do there, you can make educated guesses about what will survive/thrive/die (but you'll still sometiems be wrong).

But when you are getting started, like the first 5 years or so of living there, I think it is *worthwhile* to plant some things that are not "supposed" to be hardy for you, and see what happens. Ideally you do this with fairly inexpensive things that are fairly robust and can't-kill-em-with-a-stick in other respects, of course, not expensive specimens with very rigid ideas about what life is supposed to be like. Either way, though, DO it. Experiment. You will learn more about your growing conditions; and probably *some* of your experiments will be successful, too :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, on what is mainly a USDA zone 3/4 property, but with a few reliably-hardy zone 7 perennials in a warm south-facing suntrap that gets snowdrifts all winter ;)

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay, the zones go in number order from the north to the south. So zones 9-11 will be warmer than zone 8. I think I was confused and thinking it was the other way around.

*slaps forehead*

Can someone in zone 8 typically get away with zone 9 plants, as long as they're covered on freezing nights?

"Hardiness" means that you don't have to do anything to protect in cold temps?

Is there a term that means a plant can't freeze? Can't take frost?

Oh and they didn't have anymore ferns when I went at lunch. :(

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hardiness describes at what temp. the plant can take or survive.

I have plants that will die at 45* others at 35* yet some will take 20*

I think it more important to look at the plants needs and not the zone number! The zone gives you an idea but it is what you learn about that plant is what is important!
The zone of the plant also gives you a clue as to the needs of sun and heat. Again just a guide, each plant will require different needs.

Joe

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help or not.

The average annual minimum temperature is the coldest you can expect for the winter. You know, that one night that occurs every 3 or 4 years and kills your prize bougainvillea or whatever.

Zone - Average Annual Minimum Temperature Range
Fahrenheit & Celsius

Zone 1
Below -45.6 C
Below -50 F

Zone 2
-50 to -40 F
-45.6 to -40 C

Zone 3
-40 to -30 F
-40 to -34.5 C

Zone 4
-30 to -20 F
-34.5 to -28.9 C

Zone 5

-20 to -10 F
-28.9 to -23.3 C

Zone 6
-10 to 0 F
-23.3 to -17.8 C

Zone 7
0 to 10 F
-17.8 to -12.3 C

Zone 8
10 to 20 F
-12.3 to -6.6 C

Zone 9
20 to 30 F
-6.6 to -1.1 C

Zone 10
30 to 40 F
-1.1 to 4.4 C

Zone 11
above 40 F
above 4.5 C

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yeah, we are definitely in zone 8. (Central Georgia) Our area dips into the upper teens one or two nights a year, but our particular plot of land sits adjacent to a 10 acre lake, so we are generally 3-4 degrees cooler than the surrounding area.

Latest posts